Small(ish) model, big(ish) lag SU to LO

Hi everybody!
Happy New Year!
I have opened a new project in LO (SU Pro 2021), I have one page from my own template started, I have one viewport, and I have inserted one scene from one model.
So far, so good, except…
For some reason there is a lag when trying to do any new linework in said viewport.
It’s frustrating, as it is slow to snap to anything, so I’m always over/under-shooting waiting for the line or w.h.y. to catch up to the cursor.
Even moving anything is sooo slooow.
Things like text don’t seem to suffer from this fate.
I deleted the file, went back to the SU model, purged it, manually deleted any superfluous bits & pieces, saved it, opened a new LO project, reinserted - only marginally faster.
The funny thing is, It’s definitely one of the smaller projects I’ve done in terms of faces, imported components, etc. (the scene is just a plan view)(it says 15.7MBfile size).
I’ve reopened a couple past projects that are waaay bigger to see if their behaviour has changed, but nope - normal speed.
I’m sure it’s something really simple, and I make no claims to be anything other than a complete neophyte, but any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Happy drawing!

Big Beaver

You’ve created a viewport in Layout of a scene in SketchUp?

And are you editing the SketchUp model directly from Layout?

Nope, just adding a few lines on the viewport layer and moving it to a pleasing spot on the page before I add dimensions/layers.

It would be helpful to see your LO file.

You can add any linework in a viewport in LayOut. You can draw over a viewport with the drawing tools in LayOut.

Hm. I went upload it here - saved it and now it says 330MB?!?

signed,

Even More Confused

Don’t touch it. Upload it to Drop Box and share the link so I can see exactly what you’ve got.

OK, it’ll take a while.

It is at least 100 times too big to count as “smallish”.

1 Like

Right?! When I just looked up the file itself in Documents it was 15.7MB, but then when I uploaded it to dropbox it was massive! I’m sure that’s what explains why it’s so slow in LO, but I still don’t understand the discrepancy in file size.

I’m waiting to see your giant file to hopefully help you identify why it’s like that.

Oh! Oops, thought I’d shared it with you, I’ll check dropbox.

Here is the link (I hope):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/feaj6l9yf5th6op/fowlie.layout?dl=0

Cool Ade

First thinngs first. How in the heck are you creating the file? You have a ton of SKP references. Do you have that many different SketchUp files or are you copying and pasting views from SketchUp to LayOut? If you are doing the latter, DON’T!

After purging there’s one. That took about 96% off the file size.

It’s shown as missing on my end because I don’t have the SketchUp file you’ve linked to. Only the embedded one.

There’s some incorrect tag usage and a couple of unused styles in your SketchUp file.
Screenshot - 1_12_2022 , 4_51_58 PM

Try purging your LO file and see if that helps.

The file that’s left is the last one in that…really long list. I’m definitely not copying and pasting, pretty sure I’m doing it right: make SU model, create scene, save, open LayOut, insert scene. It looks like I’d better add “purge old references” to my workflow! I’ll try it this evening.

Hard to tell from your description but you should only send a given SU file to the LayOut project once. After that you copy the viewport in the LayOut project and change to the desired scene.

Copy that! That’s going to make a big difference. However, I’ve purged all I can (I believe?) and there’s still a lag in LO. Again - one viewport, one model. I checked the 3 components imported from the warehouse and none of them seems very big. I’m using a pretty simple line style in SU with very little in the way of texture and no colour. Sorry for being dense or stubborn, but I still am not getting it.

I’m not seeing any lagging on my computer but then I’m on a PC with an Nvidia graphics card.

I wonder if the toilet component might have something to do with it. The lid by itself has over 16,000 entities. The lower part is almost 47,000 entities. And then there are the laundry appliances. Those three appliances account for about 78% of the total SketchUp file size. I think you could get by with greatly simplified components.

Oh boy.
I’m just gonna go ahead and guess you are totally right.

Dave, you are a prince among men.
Thank you ever so much.

About what? The toilet and appliances? Try deleting them from the model and purge unused components. Does that change the performance at all?

Actually I did a little more playing with your file. Even after deleting and purging the components from the SU file which brought the file size down about 3 Mb the LO file was still running around 30 Mb. I copied the content over to a new LO file and it’s barely bigger than the SU file.
Fowlie redux.layout (3.2 MB)
I suspect there was some corruption due to all those .skp file references you had in the file previously.

Of course you still need to add a toilet, washer, and dryer but I expect you can find some much simpler ones to add.

A few more points and maybe some recap.

Think about layers in your LO document. You’ve got some things like the page borders on the first page on the SU viewports layer. You had the LO drawing entities underneath the SketchUp viewport. They should actually be on another layer that is above the viewport. There’s some LO drawing entities that seem to be duplicates of edges in the SketchUp model. Probably no real need to double up on that sort of thing.

As an example here are the layers from one of my LayOut templates. I’m not saying you should duplicate this but to give you an idea…
Screenshot - 1_12_2022 , 10_20_50 PM
The three latyers at the bottom of the list are, as their names suggest, for title block and page border stuff. the Other Title Text layer is for page specific content. I have four Model layers for viewports. I often stack viewports and sometimes wind up with more than 2 of them although since LO2021, I don’t tend to stack quite as many as I used to. Never more than one viewport in a stack on any one layer. LO drawing entities go on Hatches and Dashed Lines. Again, in 2021 I don’t tend to use those as often as I used to. Art Text is for labels and other other text that doesn’t fall into the title block area and of course there’s a layer for Dimensions. The order of the layers is important and it’s important to keep track. The lowest Model layer is set as active because the first thing I will always add in a project on this template is a SketchUp viewport.

Recap:

Keep your model lean and clean. Probably don’t “spend” three quarters of your budget (file size) on a couple of appliances and a pot. Purge unused stuff once in awhile.

Set up scenes in Sketchup for the various views you’ll need of the model. Send the file to LayOut only once. Copy the viewport within the LayOut file as needed and choose the desired scene for each viewport in the Sketchup Model panel. If you need to create additional views of the model or change the existing ones, go back to SketchUp and add or modify scenes. Save the changes to the SketchUp model and then in LayOut update the reference to show the changes or give you the additional scenes to choose.

Thank you! I hope it keeps you plugging away.

1 Like