Slow to non orbit

I have a new laptop with de rcommended hardware (video card is the nvidia Geforcz mx250) I installed de free version of SketchUp but when is want to use it, with a file bigger than 1mb, the orbit function stops working ( or it is very veru vbery slow). What can be the problem?

I don’t know. It’snot a big file.
Is ‘Shadows’ on?
It would help if you would share the small model file here, for others to investigate.

check for an update of the graphics card driver first, ensure that SU is running on the dedicated GeForce MX instead of an integrated intel HD second (“Window > Preferences > OpenGL > Graphics Card Details”).

1 Like

I’m sorry. I have this problem with a bigger file than the 1mb I mentioned. The file is 28,9 mb. And the problem occurs when i use the layer “tree”. I Took this tree out of de 3D Warehouse. It is a big tree (3.5mb) that i rescaled. Without this tree, there is no problem. I only have this problem at home. At work, everything works just fine. Could it maby be related to the speed of the internet at home?

Thanks, i’m defenitly going to check this.
But i was wrong, I have this problem with a bigger file than the 1mb I mentioned. The file is 28,9 mb. And the problem occurs when i use the layer “tree”. I Took this tree out of de 3D Warehouse. It is a big tree (3.5mb) that i rescaled. Without this tree, there is no problem. I only have this problem at home. At work, everything works just fine. Could it maby be related to the speed of the internet at home?

internet speed has nothing to do with it.

What CPU @ home?

Probably a high-poly tree, do use as (e.g. internal) component if multiple instances of the tree are required.

The entity types and amount of them in this model can be evaluated at: “Window > Model Information > Statistic > Whole Model” => pruge unused to reduce model size and in consequence SU performance.

As already mentioned, the issue is almost surely that the tree is modeled with too much detail for your home system to handle well. The fact that turning off the tree layer improves performance supports this idea. This is a common problem with models from the 3D Warehouse. You are best advised to load them into an otherwise empty model to see whether your system can deal with them before adding them to a real model.

You mention a difference between work and home. Your profile says you are using the free (web) version. You should be advised that the SketchUp license prohibits commercial use of the free version at work.

CPU = Intel Core i5-8265U with 4 cores

It’s only 1 tree which is a component

I’m working with the free online version. Maby i’m looking over ikt but where can I find *Window > Model Information > Statistic > Whole Model”

I’m not using the free version for work. I just tried this file at my pc at work to see if it works beter and it did. Thats all.

My home systeem has:
-Intel Core i5-8265U - 4 cores
-GeForce MX230 2 GB (Stand alone)
-8GB RAM - DDR4 - 2,4GHz

That should do it, no?

Basically what is being said, your two systems can handle different model complexities.
Adding the 3d tree doesn’t overpower one but does the other.

If you look at the various benchmark sites and their reports on the MX230, you’ll see that it is an entry level graphics card. Not incredibly high-performing for more intense graphics applications. Your tree component is very likely to tax that GPU.

Unfortunately, saying it is “just one tree” does not mean much… it is entirely possible for a single tree component to have more geometry than a model of an entire building. If you post the file, others can let you know if the issue is an overly demanding tree, or an issue with the hardware on your end.

1 Like