Slow startup -- HDDs spinup but everything is on SSD

This isn’t a major issue, but it’s one I’ve been trying to figure out for a while. Sometimes I’m opening models pretty frequently (e.g. brainstorming / rapid prototyping) so speed is nice. I’m using SU 2020.2 on a zippy Win10 machine.

SketchUp startup time seems to vary a lot. It seems to be faster if another instance is already open, or if it was open very recently. That being said, SketchUp load times are on par with Adobe or Autodesk software (and SU is so much more lovable).

What puzzles & concerns me here, is that when SU is starting up, I hear my hard disks spinning up, even though everything I can think of is on an NVME SSD – those HDDs are just dusty archives. I figure SketchUp is scanning them for some kind of… index, metadata? I wish I knew how to monitor the process in order to find some clues.

I have something similar that bugs me and I think it may have been an issue with a TDR failure that was happening.

Just a random thought…

A Google search suggests setting the paging file to none. I think you need to go into performance options then virtual memory.

I’ve no idea if this, generally, is a good thing to do or not.

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.