Slow response SketchUp pro 2016

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum, so if I put the question in the wrong place i’m sorry!

I’ve been working with sketchUp for quite some time now making detailed designs for landscapes. Everytime I want to download a 3D object from the warehouse, the warehouse stops working after i put in a search query. After a while it says that SketchUp could not find an Internet connection (Internet connection works perfectly). After I reboot SketchUp the warehouse works again (for 3 to 5 minutes).

And if that all works out and I’ve put a dozen 3D plants/objects in my design, sketchUp starts to response very very slowly.

Windows 7 64-bit
12 GB RAM
Processor Intel® Xeon® CPU W3680 @ 3.33GHz
Nvidia Quadro 4000

Does anyone has an idea of what I could do about my 2 problems?

Thanks!

I can’t speak to the first problem - too many possibilities that depend specifically on the situation at the moment, from a clog in your system to a firewall or timeout to a bug in the 3DW.

Regarding the second one, check out the model statistics after you do such insertions and see whether you have unknowingly added a large amount of geometry or large textures to the model. There are a lot of models in the 3DW that contain excessive amounts of geometry compared to what you likely need. If for final presentation you want the detail, there are proxy plugins that can swap a simple object for the detailed one while you model and then swap back when you are finished.

I’ll take a stab at the first one:

The internet connection is tested off of a value in C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2016\Resources\YOUR_LANGUAGE_mine_says"en-US"\i18n.dat

There’s a line in that file that says [ONLINE CHECK]. The following line will have something like (depending on the language you installed) like:
ONLINE_TEST_URL=http://www.google.com/ncr

ncr stands for no country redirect, and if for some reason your computer and your network do not hit that url in a reasonable time, SketchUp will assume you’re offline. If that’s a problem for you, find a url you can always hit when you’re online, edit that file, and relaunch SketchUp.

On my Surface Pro 3, SketchUp was saying I appeared to be off-line whenever I opened the program.
The fix for me was to set my default search engine to Google.

Hi !

Did you find the solution ? I have the same problem…

Thanks