The ∞ SketchUp Wish List

A SLICE command, cutting complex / non solid geometry, by a cutting plane, resulting in to independent groups/components.

Also, it is deceiving that only solids can be edited by union/substraction/intersection operations, as solids in Sketchup are so fragile (it is too easy to turn them accidentally into non solids). Something like SURFACE OPERATIONS would be very useful. Sketchup has half of it solved, by the “intersect faces” functionality, although it almost never works as I want it to.

1 Like

Better NURBS and organic geometry support. By using plugins like Curviloft a lot can be done, but after a while such faces begin to get “buggy” and weird, triangles, lines and vertices start to show up, and they are almost impossible to edit.

With it, a UV Mapping native functionality, to be able to map such faces.

As in right clicking on a section plane > create group from slice?

1 Like

I think they mean more like making the visual cut physical, i.e. removing all entities on one side of the cut plane. That would be quite useful in my view too!

1 Like

Not exactly. Not sure if I am using it right (create group from slice), but this function just creates a group of lines of the model intersection with the section plane.

Eneroth understood what I mean. You pick a group/component and you define a plane crossing it, and the program would create two separate groups at each side of the slicing plane.

Think of the plane like a knife, what I want to get is the 2 separate pieces of cheese.

1 Like

I’d like to add showing keyboard shortcuts in the toolbar tooltip to the wishlist!

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/keyboard-shortcuts-in-the-tooltips/

4 Likes

So , who would be the one to choose which part to edit? Not the one with the knife, I preasume:)
I kinda like the flexible section set up for the fact that it is not dependant of the model or group. Breaking the model in pieces might cause other organizing problems I already have a hard time dealing with . I guess it is all about organizing your model , but I kind of like to jump around and if I would make a change which overlaps the separated ,sliced groups/components, I would have to edit more pieces of the pie…

I do know what you are suggesting now. Hence my question.
As a new tool it would certainly speed up cutting objects into parts that fit together. It could be handy.

Already half-finished with the extension for it!

3 Likes

Three disclaimers before I start:
I haven’t read every post, so some may have mentioned these already.
I’m still on SU 2015, so the newer versions may have these features.
I’m not a SketchUp Sage or anything like that, so I may even be overlooking these in my version.

Now for my requests.

1. (SketchUp) Inference from guides. For example, when performing a move-tool command, I can only line an entity up with a guide if I find an intersection, but when I line the entity up with a line, I can pick a point anywhere on the line.
  2. (LayOut) You know how we can create inference in SU by hovering over a point, then moving in whatever direction to show that dotted line? I want to be able to dimension like that in Layout. Imagine a kitchen elevation, and the boss insists that all dimension lines begin outside the wall. If I begin the dimension command somewhere in the middle of the drawing, then drag to the outside, I have to manually re-size every one of the indicator lines. If I could infer from a point, I would only start the dimension command once outside the wall. (Try to include screenshots later to show what I mean.)
  3. (SketchUp) Program performs dimension calculations. I begin a line, then instead of typing 24" Enter, I type 12+12 Enter, and the line is 24 inches long. I’ve seen this is in Thermwood’s eCabinets software, and it’s really helpful when you’re doing a rush job, and dealing with 5-7/16 minus 3-3/8 or something complex like that.
1 Like

[quote=“ksarch_CDG_TSA_2, post:41, topic:33695, full:true”]
My main complaint regarding dimensions is the text. If the dimension is short, the text box will cover (hide) parts of the extension line, dimension line and arrows. This makes no sense. Why does the text box have a fill to it in the first place? At least make the fill an option that can be turned off. [/quote]

This can be done. Each tool in LayOut has a default setting for fills and line weights. Select the dimension tool, and before you draw anything, adjust the settings in the Shape Style panel. In your case, select fill to be off (my preference is to have a translucent fill). The default setting that you have just set is saved with the LO document.

1 Like

Tommy,

If this works for me, THANK YOU!!! Can you turn off the automatic connect (two lines) and curve thing that happens in LO? I cannot imagine a time when I would want that to occur. I am constantly fighting this. It’s very annoying and time consuming to deal with.

Thanks,

Kendall Springer | Architect

• cornerstone design group

Office Ph: 801.272.1930

Mobile Ph: 801.330.0679

Please note: This message may contain drawings, specifications, and other documents prepared by Cornerstone Design Group or its consultants that are considered instruments of service and are to be used solely with respect to the intended project. Cornerstone Design Group and its consultants are deemed the authors and owners of their respective instruments of service and retain all common law, statutory, and other reserved rights, including the copyrights. This message is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, distribute, deliver or forward this message or any attached documents to any individual or entitiy. In such case, destroy this message and, please notify us so that we can avoid repeating the error. Thank you.

Didn’t work.

Thanks,

Please note: This message may contain drawings, specifications, and other documents prepared by Cornerstone Design Group or its consultants that are considered instruments of service and are to be used solely with respect to the intended project. Cornerstone Design Group and its consultants are deemed the authors and owners of their respective instruments of service and retain all common law, statutory, and other reserved rights, including the copyrights. This message is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, distribute, deliver or forward this message or any attached documents to any individual or entitiy. In such case, destroy this message and, please notify us so that we can avoid repeating the error. Thank you.

I’m not sure what isn’t working, it’s all simple to do for me.

To get rid of the leader lines, select “Leader Style” to “No Leader” in the dimension style. If you haven’t got the dimension tool selected, you won’t be able to change its default settings. You can change text font/size too.

Do you work for SketchUp?

Thanks,

In Layouts Preferences - Startup we have 3 options
Prompt for template
Blank Document
and Use Selected Template

Would like to see same options in Sketchup itself - for some reason we have only one option there - to choose template and it opens every time on startup. I have several templates that I use every day for different projects. Would be handy to have an option to choose template before startup.

You can do that now if you have SketchUp set up to display the Welcome screen on start up. If you always use the same SketchUp template as a starting point like I do, bypass the Welcome screen which is the equivalent of LayOut’s Use Selected Template.

Hi Dave,

didn’t think about welcome screen. It is off on startup at the moment, do you know how to re-enable it?
thanks for a tip!

1 Like

Turn it on in the Help menu and then tick the box for Always show on startup.

1 Like

Thanks Dave!

But still, layout and sketchup should be looking as a one software, now we have two separate pieces that try to work as one.

1 Like