SketchUp Viewer version 5.5 released!

Thx, using the BRAVE Browser that is based on the chromium browser…

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by “… no”. If you are using Brave as the default browser, you can keep doing that. But, make sure that Chrome is still installed and working on your device. It’s the presence of Chrome that is needed, and not the presence of a browser that uses Chromium.

Sorry Colin … just a typo… thx noted

Good news. Shared! Thanks for the update

Hi, great update!
I’m still trying to get accustomed with the newest version, and i wonder if anyone could help me with few things.

I’m having a trouble saving new model i downloaded from 3dwarehouse on the newest version of SketchUp Viewer, is there any way i could save it on my library (home)?

And also, is there any search button so i could search my model by name on the library? Cause i can’t find any :sweat:

Thank you very much!

Hi @Stayhealthy I’ve got a little section stubbed out in this thread about downloading/opening files from 3D Warehouse.

We’ve received a ton of really great feedback over the past few days and realize that there’s some room for improvement with respect to making it easier to view models from various sources and keep them in the Recent Models list.

Do you have any tips for materials with opacity in AR? They are opaque on iPad.

Interesting mixed bag update.

However, I can no longer open files directly from the app and files opened from Files folder won’t be saved on iOS device.

Also, I would really like to get rid of all those floating buttons which, particularly on smaller devices take a lot of space on the screen and they are… well, ugly. Please nest them away somewhere in a neat way to only access when needed. The use of those buttons is very cumbersome, counterintuitive and hard to get used to. How do you get rid of accidentally created guides?

Shadows are difficult to set up - there should be a slider somewhere to easily adjust the Shadows live by taking full advantage of powerful iOS devices. Currently they are slow to render on even latest gen iPads. Not impressed for such basic rendering.

It is a small step forward in terms of features and two steps back in terms of interface and usability

@bloodsource The transparent material, is it an actual material, or is it an image that was imported as an image object? Image objects that haven’t yet been exploded (and converted into geometry/materials) do not render properly in AR. If the material is actually a material, applied to geometry in the model and you’re not seeing the transparency, then you might have found a bug. If that’s the case, and you’re able to share the model (via DM or whatever works), we’ll take a look and see if we can figure out what’s up.

@sabv Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about this latest update to the Viewer app.

We’ve heard from a few users who liked having the option to make the app UI disappear and who have asked for us to reintroduce that capability, especially for the phone version. We’re looking into it.

I’m curious to learn more about how you’re accidentally creating guides (that shouldn’t be possible).

Also curious to learn more about any ideas you have for more easily adjusting shadows – or was the comment more simply to do with being annoyed by the lag?

It’s a material. I can share the model in DM. I can’t seem to be able to DM you though, so you might have to message me first.

You can do a simple test. On your Mac make a box painted with one of the glass materials, AirDrop it to your iPhone, and view in AR. Materials are opaque. Or try my one.

seetrough.skp (39.9 KB)

So you managed to reproduce the issue too? Nice :slight_smile:

I’m playing around with the model you shared Colin, and I have a theory about what’s happening.
The file you shared uses a SketchUp material that includes a JPG image texture. JPGs are inherently 100% opaque, but SketchUp offers an opacity override that allows us to render the materials partially translucent. That override gets lost when viewing in AR. We’ll take a look at this.

In the meantime, I tinkered a bit and found that if I take the JPG source file of the texture, open it in Photoshop, make it so that the image itself is inherently translucent, save it as a PNG (a format that retains the inherent translucency), replace the JPG with that PNG and then view that in AR, the material is then translucent in AR.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll switch those to PNGs.

Hello team, i am an uncommon user of sketchup in the construction field and its been a high pleasure for me to make a bridge between construction worker, enginer and drawing tech. Badly for me, 3 days ago my world collapse. There is different field of application and the new platform as throw away the simplicity that made the success of 10 years of sketch up improvement for common people.

Thanks to respond, the older version was a diamond for us. Specialy when it was time to take dimension.

As there are more tools now, you need to bring up a menu to see the extra tools. If you don’t see the tool you need, tape measure or AR for example, touch the bottom left icon (which initially will be the arrow icon). Then you should see the extra tools, including the tape measure.

Top left icon on iPad.

Its not a matter of extra tool, you need to think outside of the box to see a market perfectly made for the older version. The 5.4 version was already perfect for the construction field. Sometimes more is like less

The 5.4 version was an unexploited diamond. Maybe you Just dont imagine the potential of simplicity for the majority of us. I worked everyday for the democratisation of graphic knowledge, i am a little bit disappointed right now. How can i buy that version or Just keep it in the same state of mind and maybe more efficient with less fonction.

There is a huge market for simplicity.
A Huge market that is about to fade with this version. Most of us just dont start the update, the other, try to step forward

If there is a phone for comments, let me Know

Thanks