Sketchup upgrade

Hey guys, I’m a sketchup nube. I’m using the free web version and I am thinking of going to a paid version but because I’m so green I don’t really know what is useful and therefore what is worth paying for.
I am an Electrician who does some construction projects as well so drawing plans etc is kinda what i would use it for. My father would also like to use it to do lot plans. I know a lot of electricians love bluebeam but I really like the ease of learning sketchup and I expect sketchup would have many of the same utilities if one knows where to look.
TIA, all advice welcomed

1 Like

First, since you’d be using SketchUp for your work, you would need to use either Sketchup Shop or SketchUp Pro so the choice is really which of those. SketchUp Shop is great because you can run it on practically any computer since it runs in the Internet browser. On the other hand, SketchUp Pro is a desktop client version. It doesn’t require an internet connection to get it opened. Additionally, the Pro version can utilize extensions and plugins to help expand the tools and capability of it. And you get LayOut which is useful for doing various sorts of documentation from your models.

The user interface between the two is quite different so you should take that into consideration. You can download and install SketchUp 2020 and use it for 30 days to see what you think.

If you opt for a subscription license, you’ll actually get both SketchUp Pro (with LayOut) and SketchUp Shop.

2 Likes

Following up on @DaveR’s comment, and given that you’re an Electrician, I’d highly recommend going to SketchUp Pro (classic or subscription) so you can use the downloaded (non-web) version of SketchUp - no other choice if you want to use extensions. And as an electrician, you most definitely want to use @medeek’s “Medeek Electrical” extension!
https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/200c5d51-9bc3-405d-9a1a-04dcc5b4a76f/medeek-electrical

1 Like

SketchUp is a 3D modeler so if you’re just drawing two dimensional plans it might be overkill. It would certainly get the job done but so would other software that is potentially less costly. Hard to say without knowing how many other industry standards there might be available, or what your ultimate needs would be.

Thank-you for the hearty endorsement @sjdorst . However, I always suggest “Try before you buy”. You can download and use the trial version of the plugin with a trail version of SketchUp 2020 Pro all for zero cost for 30 days. This should give you enough time to check out the capabilities of the plugin as well as the full featured version of SketchUp which includes Layout (ie. construction documents). Arguably there is a lot of ground to cover so even 30 days might not be enough to truly become a proficient user but at least you will have a sense of what you can do with it and probably determine if it will mesh with your workflow.