Sketchup Unexpected File Type Error

Of late I seem to be encountering a significant number of ‘Unexpected File Type’ errors. I have experienced this twice before the recent bout, and have always been able to recover the lost model by changing the file type of the Sketchup backup file from skb to skp. However on this occasion O have two models containing some component workups and both these and their subsequent backup files all give the same ‘unexpected file type’ error. I tried importing the models but then the error changes to ‘file not found’! There is a good bit of work in these two models and right now it looks like I have lost it all! Is there anyone who knows for to recover such a Sketchup file?

System and Software Details: Windows 10 64 bit, 64Gb RAM; NIVIDIA GEOFORCE Graphics card, Sketcup 2016 Pro

I have seen other posts on this but all they reccommend is changing the backup file type and as stated that has failed this time.

Any help appreciated

G

It’s rare that they can be recovered, @colin may be able to get some components from it if you attach the file.

Question would be what is causing it, do you keep your files locally or do you network or have them in a syncing folder?

Thanks for responding Box

I store them and work with them on a Seagate external HD. The odd thing is I have worked on one file for months and I have been rendering from this file repeatedly and today I see that one too and its backup has the same deal. I have been working with SU since 2011. The first time I saw this was about a year ago: one file which I was able to recover. Then yesterday it was like every file I have worked on in the last 2 weeks! In total there are 7 and I have been able to recover only one! I keep wondering is it all the dam Windows updates since my SU is 2016 and I have worked with it nearly everyday since them and until recently no probs including some huge models? The only change in my system is the Windows update’s

What is @colin exactly and how do I make contact with them?

G

Thanks for responding Box

I store them and work with them on a Seagate external HD. The odd thing is I have worked on one file for months and I have been rendering from this file repeatedly and today I see that one too and its backup has the same deal. I have been working with SU since 2011. The first time I saw this was about a year ago: one file which I was able to recover. Then yesterday it was like every file I have worked on in the last 2 weeks! In total there are 7 and I have been able to recover only one! I keep wondering is it all the dam Windows updates since my SU is 2016 and I have worked with it nearly everyday since them and until recently no probs including some huge models? The only change in my system is the Windows updates

What is @colin exactly and how do I make contact with them?

G

Putting an @ with a username will notify the user, this one Colin is a sketchup team member that often has a go at sorting these things out.

I work in SketchUp support.

If you can put the file online somewhere, and let me know a link to the file, I’ll try to recover something from it. Dropbox or Google Drive, or wetransfer.com, would do. Make sure the file can be downloaded by anyone with the link.

If there is any slowdown on the data transfer between your pc and the Drive you can get corrupt files.
Best to work local and manually copy over.

Thanks Colin

I have to go out now, but on my return I will upload to Dropbox

G

I’ll check later.

Hi Colin

Thanks again for offering to look at this, it is very appreciated.

I have uploaded various versions of 2 small SU component files to Dropbox and some test renders to show they were working fine when I last used them. The versions labeled RECOVERED FROM ### are the old skb files which I name changed in a failed attempt to salvage them. One of each is the original workup file and one of each was a selected component backup file. All have the same problem.

There is at least one other file, a big model from which I have been rendering and working on for months and that too has the same problem. I have yet to step backwards through the many sequential backups of this to see how far back this goes. Depending on how far back this problem goes I could stand to lose many months of very intensive work?

I have to say this situation is alarming as now I am uncertain how many previously fine models might not open?

Colin can you please give me an email so I can give you access to my Dropbox folder which I created for you?

Graham

Can you send a link in a message to me. I will message you so that you can reply.

Hi Colin

I am not sure how to do this Colin. When you say a message with a link, I have never done this with Dropbox and I use it all the time. Normally with Dropbox you create a folder for a specific person, (this I have done for you,) and Dropbox has a dialogue where I can give access to this folder to one or more people - share the folder to be exact.

My private and pro email is grahamslocombe57@gmail.com, the same one I used to sign up for this forum, and if you send me a simple hello message from any email and can then use that email to tell Dropbox to give you access, and Dropbox will send you a message confirming the access. But how do I send a link to you regarding this Dropbox folder? I will do some research to see if Dropbox has another way of operating that I am unfamiliar with? Give me a moment to see if I can do this?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Colin

I do not know if this is what you mean, but I copied the link from my Dropbox folder ‘For Colin’ and have pasted it in below…

Let me know if that works?

Graham

Unfortunately, that is just the URL of the file as it appears when sign into your account. Find the folder in your list of files, and point to that line. Look for the Share button that appears toward the right end of that line. In the Share dialog, make sure that the link settings are for anyone who has the link, then use the Create Link option in the lower right, and then the Copy Link. Send the link to me.

Hi Colin

Perhaps this is it…

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject as I have never used Dropbox this way before!

Graham

That was better!

Only one file had anything noticeable in it when I tried to recover it. It’s the “Sunset Bar Gym Neon Sign with 3D leters REV A RECOVERED” one. You will see nothing the scene, but in Components you will find your globe geometry, in a component named Unknown. Drag a copy of that into your scene.

I don’t have a way to know what had made the files get into that state, but here is the recovered version of that file:

Big thank you Colin I have downloaded the recovered file, but yet to access it as I am cooking dinner and it’s late here. Could I send you one more tomorrow please?

Graham

Sure, no problem.