Sketchup Reporting of Component Instances

Hi

A query in something I have notice this evening relating to the numbers of Components reporter in a Model. Firstly here is an outline of my process;

1. I processed a simple DWG file to clean it up, (the Campus series in dealing with DWG files was very useful). It’s made up of a series of blocks for light fittings etc. meaning they are Components in Sketchup.

2. Imported Cleaned up DWG into Sketchup and Exploded. All Components that should be Components are and all is nice, neat and tidy, with various Components using the required Tags.

3. There are 70 Spotlights, (Components), in the Model.

Here is the query. When I click on one Spotlight Component and from the Context Menu, select ‘Select All Instances’, the Entity Info Panel reports 140 Components (70 In Model).

When I select ‘Select Active Instances’ from the Context Menu, Entity Info reports ‘70 Components in Model’.

Just curious as to why there is a difference.

Mike

1 Like

It is possible for other component definitions (that have no instances) to contain instances of your example component. Therefore these are unused instances as they exist only in the entities collection of unused definitions.
Doing a purge unused on the “In Model” Components collection may get rid of these unused instances.

Hi @DanRathbun

Thank you. Not entirely sure I understand that but I’ll see what happens when I do a Purge of unused Components.

Doesn’t seem to affect the Model so was just curious.

Mike

Think of the definitions collection as a hidden cupboard of example models that can be copied (used) into the model’s geometric entities collection. They are taking up space in the cupboard even if there are no copies in the model.

Ununsed resources (components, materials, styles, etc.,) will have an effect upon the .skp file size.

1 Like

Hi @DanRathbun

Yes, that’s makes sense.

I imported the DWG which would have been a Component in the Model. Even though I exploded it, it would still be registered as a Component in the Model. As this Component had 70 Light Fitting Components within it, then that would give a total of 140 Components in total.

Mike

1 Like

Right, … when you explode an import like this, it’s definition becomes an unused orphan.
Always purge the DefinitionList after such a workflow.

1 Like