Sketchup quits while Time Machine is backing up

Has anyone come across Sketchup quitting if you try to use it when Time Machine is doing a back up? If I go to Time Machine and skip the backup Sketchup works fine again, but that’s not ideal. Any suggestions?

I’m using Sketchup pro 2021 and OS Mojave

i’m on a PC and if OneDrive conflicts with the SU file - it crashes. so i generally suspend OneDrive while working on project files where i’ll be doing a lot of edits and don’t want to risk SU crashing when a manual save or the auto-save kicks in. for some reason SU doesn’t do a great job of locking its files so the OneDrive (or Google Drive for a few other applications) can cause contention resulting in crashes. simpler programs don’t seem to struggle as much since (assuming) they tend to put a hard lock on the file(s) whereas programs which seem to want to share cross machine updates etc, they’re not a diligent about file locking…

The Sketchup files need to be saved and opened on a local drive only.

it is a local drive… then OneDrive (Googe Drive, DropBox, Carbon Copy, etc) try to then copy the file out to the cloud, and sometimes there is a file lock which is not respected (by either or both) and viola! crash of the app because developers are often too lazy to write defensive code or file services too lazy to write code which respects the file lock, because, oh my gosh! i have to ask the OS, and i might have to write 10 lines of code to handle multiple OSes… oh the pain, the pain (Dr Smith - Lost in Space voice)…