Sketchup Pro Pricing VS Make

[quote=“john_drivenupthewall, post:69, topic:46232, full:true”]

IMHO:
the main Pro feature is support of commercial quality program features, both, programatically and via the maintenance [support] scheme[…][/quote]

I think you put the finger right on it. Support, along with the legal right to use software commercially, is exactly what makes the difference between a free and a paid version of software in terms of value. It is often forgotten, but support is probably one of the biggest expenses related to software, if not the biggest.

As an analogy, in my line of work customer support is pretty much what makes the difference between ‘free’ and ‘pro’, free being giving out the tools for people to solve the problem themselves, pro being I actually tackle the problem for them. Giving the knowledge and methods to use for free is just plain good business to me.

As a matter of fact, I just received a call from someone who said I had helped help solve her problem several years and she just hired me today for my paid professional services.

So you see, it should make sense for having a free Make and a paid Pro version.

1 Like

No, because I disagree with all your arguments. I welcome and defend your right to say them, but find it a bit insulting that you think we all should now see things from your point of view.

There are just different kinds of people participating in this thread, and the truth is, we all are not ever going to be “singin’ the same tune.”

2 Likes

[quote=“skyzzx, post:74, topic:46232”]
I just attempted to download Sketchup Viewer. Two things:

1. I seems that a Pro license is required. What if as a Make user I want to see an older file?[/quote]
    It is my understanding that only the Android version isn’t free (go figure why it isn’t if the PC version is… Trimble?)

As for older file, you can have it converted on 3Dwarehouse.com to another SU version, as was pointed out to me recently (thanks for the tip, folks). I know some people may be wary of doing so (what if my invention/plan is copied/stolen), but it seems that unless you specify it can be used by the public, it remains strictly associated with your account

That being said, why is there even an issue, since you can use Make forever to view SU files? Am I missing something here here?

Sorry if I appeared arrogant to you, I just meant that in my 25 plus years using this business model, it has worked perfectly well for me, just like it does for many others who may no be so vocal about it.

So let’s agree to disagree on business philosophy and avoid getting on the slippery slope of politics, shall we?

Most single license programs that I have come across that also have network licenses don’t have network functionality. In other words the program is unable to reside on a network location to be loaded individually to different workstations and keep track of how many users are currently using the program.

Two network licenses would be 10 seats if what sketch3d_de described is the current licensing scheme.

Somewhere up higher in this thread, it was suggested that the misuse of Make for commercial work does not happen that much. (I don’t have time to re-read the entire thread to grab a quote.)

I’m am of the opinion that it happens way to much. Several times a week a poster actually admits misusing Make here in the forums. (Often they are not very good at English and likely do not understand the EULA even if they have read it.)

Here is another just today:

3 Likes

Years ago I tried out one of the earliest versions of SketchUp - felt clunky and immature so went with a different 3D program which cost more. Fast forward to about 1-1/2 years ago when I once again searched for a 3D type program for a different employer. Prices from “free” to under $100 to over $10,000. Noticed SketchUp was still around. Tried out the MAKE version on a potential job opportunity for us. Was impressed. Completed the job in about 4 days, went to our finance officer, reviewed our cost of my time vs. our chargeable time, immediately paid for the PRO version and still had a healthy profit from our customer. Sweet . . . ! I put MAKE on my machine at home then as well. So, if you can’t afford it right now, drop a dollar a day in your coffee can and you’ll afford it in less than 2 years. You’ll “own it”. You’ll proudly convey that truth to current and future customers. And you’ll like the PRO version better anyway !

1 Like

And FYI, no, I/we don’t have any association with Trimble and yes, I don’t like the newest non-Google Earth based geo-location we’re saddled with right now either. But that’s another thread . . .

I think SketchUp makes it pretty hard to misinterpret. When I was first referred to SU (by a commercial user) I was told it’s a free drawing program. I downloaded the Pro trial and it quit working after 30 days! I was told no you need to download Make. You literally need to lie about usage in order to down load it.

1 Like

You actually do not. The download all page asks no questions.

1 Like

You’re right.

Although I couldn’t find out how to access that page from SketchUp.com, it came up as the second result on google when searching for ‘download sketchup’.

I just did a demo for another client. Guess what. They are using Make on all their office computers. So I had to explain why my extension only works on Pro.

Their reply was you mean we need to buy Pro for each user?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.