SketchUp Pro 2020: Cannot See the Model's Bottom

I selected the geometry inside the component, clicked Edit>Copy (I used a keyboard shortcut for that) and then in a new file I selected Edit>Paste in place.

Check your PMs.

Dave’s got you sorted but I was curious about what was happening. It’s basically clipping caused by some bad/stray geometry at a huge distance actually within your component.
I don’t know if this gif explains it too well but I tried. You can see that the component contains more entities than are showing. By exploding the component and selecting the obvious geometry you can make a new component that still has clipping issues. So to delete the strays I use ctrl+a to select all then use shift to deselect the component, you can then see there are 25 other entities out there somewhere (impossible to see) I made them a component and deleting that component removes the clipping issues.
Dave did the same thing by only selecting and copying the good geometry to a new model, thus avoiding the strays that were contained within the component.
Stray within comp

2 Likes

Box, thank you, and that was totally clear!! For a while I was using File->Revert or Select All-> Delete when taking tutorials, to make sure I had clean models, but I guess I got sloppy this time (I try to do the exercises several times to make sure I have the concepts down).

So…because I had more geometry than needed to create a profile then use Follow Me, SketchUp didn’t know if it was 2D or 3D, is I think what you’re saying.

I also didn’t know that I could use the Shift key with Select All to select the inverse (which I do all the time in Photoshop), so that is also really helpful, as well as the strategy you used to select the other geometries and make them a single component that is easy to delete.

Question: could I also have grouped those geometries and deleted them, or is it preferable to place them all in a component?

Thank you again, that was so clear!

This forum is totally amazing. Dave taught me a lot yesterday, too.

1 Like

No, nothing I did related to follow me. I’m not sure what you are asking or meaning with that. The extra geometry was causing a visual problem because it was so far away, and without seeing your workflow I can’t say where it came from.

Shift with the select tool will do the opposite, meaning it will deselect a selected object or select a deselected one. CTRL will just keep adding to a selection.

Yes, group would actually be more appropriate, I simply used a component as I didn’t have a specific keyboard shortcut to make a group, so g was easy. I’m more in the habit of using right click for make group etc but as there was nothing easily right clickable I used the shortcut for component.

1 Like

The defective geometry is a circle whose center has somehow gotten out to infinity in the z direction. I am not sure how that came to be. My best guess would be that you were viewing down the center hole when trying to add another circle and didn’t have an inference from either end of the hole so the engine saw all the way to never-never.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you!! I probably did.

I had trouble making the circle the way the tutorial showed so I kept trying to get that method down (I finally gave up and did it another way entirely, which works fine), and I ended up having to delete the many circles that were in the wrong place. It makes sense that I missed at least one.

Thank you again!! (What I was talking about was that I had to delete some segments to make a profile before I could “follow me” to make the component, and I might have missed a few…but I obviously I wasn’t clear, sorry.)