Sketchup Pro 2018 Installation Issue

Hi

I got a massive issue with the sketckup pro 2018

(Know that I’ve installed it before, I reset the machine recently and it refuses to install again)

Every time I tried to install it, It passed the first step

And when it comes to the second step which is the visual c++ “14” components installation

I click Install, it started the installation and then showed up a message error

Althought my C drive has 821GB free, so space is not the problem
And I thought that the problem may come from the miscrosoft visual installation that it has to be installed separately, I did so
It started to install and failed at the middle of the progress (same issue)

Nevertheless I can install all other apps

A team sketchup member has suggested me to run is as administrator in case if it was a permission issue the it would fix it, I did and still got the same results!

So please, what to do???

Running as admin can solve a lot of problems, but the messages seem to suggest that the temp folder has been changed to a drive letter that doesn’t have much space.

Microsoft have an article on how to change the location of the temp folder. It could be worth a read, to help figure out if the folder location isn’t on the drive that has lots of space.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-folder-to-another/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818

I don’t think space is the problem because the C: drive which I guess the one that the temp folder should be has 821GB free because all my stuff is on an external drive, and I don’t have any other drives except these two!

rename the downloaded EXEcutable form “.EXE” to “.EXE.ZIP” and open with a ZIP application or the Windows Explorer (as a virtual directory, don’t install from there).

Rip of the contained “SketchUp201#-x64.msi” to e.g. the Window desktop and launch by “right-click > Run as Admin” from there.

If the SketchUp prerequisites (= MS runtime libraries -> see subdirectories) are missing on the system, launching SketchUp will tell you.

1 Like

We’ve seen some issues where the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable that SketchUp 2018 requires to run needs to be reloaded to let SketchUp run. Please try the following:

1. Quit SketchUp (and LayOut)
  2. Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable (there may be a 32-bit and 64-bit version)
  3. Re-run the SketchUp 2018 installer as a Repair (you can download it here if you need it: Download All | SketchUp)
  4. Start SketchUp

This should get that library reset so that SketchUp can get running for you. Please let us know if you are still seeing any issues.

I cant see where I could re-run Sketchup Pro installer as a repair, can you please tell how to do it?

Once SketchUp is installed, it will give you the option to re install (repair) when you try to install again (run as admin).

But Sketchup cant be installed, that’s the only problem

Understood.
Did you uninstall Visual Studio C++ 2015?

Yeah , Actually I did

What do you mean you reset the machine?

Erasing everything

Did you actually reinstall Windows?

Not exactely, I just went to the settings, update and security, recovery then reset this pc

Both “Reset PC” and “Fresh start” will reinstall the OS.

Now you have deleted Visual Studio - have you tried an install of SU again?

What’s the SU?

SketchUp (SU).

I Just told you that It cant be installed on my PC
This is bc I tried

Maybe it’s time for you to take the computer to a computer shop and let someone who is experienced do the installation. Installing SketchUp or any program wouldn’t be this hard for you if the required Visual Studio C++ files were correctly installed.

1 Like

Understood - and Visual Studio was still the problem?

When you try to install SU, make sure only the C drive is available (disconnect external drives)?

I am wondering if your Windows reset caused some errors. Also, do you know if your hardware is fully compatible with Windows 10?

If you haven’t setup all your apps again after the last reset, I would consider a “fresh start” - reinstalling the OS again.

1 Like