SketchUp Pro 2014 - crashing a LOT! (El Capitan)

Hi All,

using Pro 2014 - assumed that at the time I would get upgrades included - hey, i was wrong…

Have updated everything as far as i can see BUT it keeps crashing - i use a Mac with Capitan

Quits at various times during use - nothing specific

Have attached my screen shot if the error message - is there anything i can do to stop this ?
many thanks !

Lee

hi Lee,

many people had issues with v14 and v15 on el capitan…

it is easily resolved by upgrading to v16 which contains a fix for changes in how osx treats fonts…

there are workarounds if you can live without text…

but, it could also be plugins, typically render extensions…

it’s always best to copy/paste the errors into a code block…

john

1 Like

ok ill try the upgrade - not using any extensions or rendering - keep looking at whats out there but i need a magic piece of software as opposed to learning the fundamentals of rendering…if youknowof any let me know !

Just tried downloading kerkythea - didn’t work and crashed ;-(

don’t remove previous versions of SU…

install Visualizer into v14, than you can move a copy to v16, when it’s installed…

john

ok just downloaded the update from the Su site

Its

Is the the root one - can’t see 'version 16 anywhere ?"

not sure what “install Visualizer into v14, than you can move a copy to v16, when it’s installed…” means

wow, your way behind…

update v14 first and keep it until your 100% sure you don’t need it anymore…

then download an extension called Visualizer << click the LINK

or find it from inside SU for easy instal…

then go to HERE and download v16 Pro trial…

when you get that far pop back or search for installing Visualiser into v16…

I posted a helper script here some time back…

john

Hi John!

I have downloaded visualiser and had a look - looks good - not sure what to do now with it ! :wink:

I did check the newsgroup that you had posted in but didn’t really understand it - I’m assuming have to cut and paste some script in to a ruby console ? Have only done this once before, years ago…

Have also downloaded pro 2016 - trial version - i was hoping to just keep my 2014 version with updates - is it really much better ? I would take the plunge if i had to .

Thanks for our help !

Lee

if v14 is good for you don’t have to upgrade, but v16 is even better…

the problem was Visualizer stopped being supported at v15, so you need an older SU version just to instal it…

box ticked…

you never ‘have’ to remove v14, I have v6 >> v16 all on my mac…

if you decide to try v16, that’s when you use the script to copy Visualizer into v16…

if not explore Visualizer in v14, naming the materials is when it really starts to shine, so lookup that feature on the web…

john