Sketchup Make 2017 Move Tool

I’m now working with SketchUp Make 2017.

1. How do I change my designation in my preferences?

Though I’ve executed the Move function hundreds of times, I’m having difficulty moving (not reshaping) an object using the Move tool. Every attempt I make to move an object reshapes the object I click on.

1. How do I move and not reshape an object with the Move tool?
  1. Click the green circle with the j top right, then the man icon then preference then profile and fill it in there.

2. You need to get your head around the differences in raw and grouped geometry and the way the move tool grabs things.
    In this gif you see that if nothing is pre selected and the geometry is ‘raw’ the move tool will grab whatever you click on and move it and drag the attached geometry around.
    If you pre select the whole thing it will move together, and you don’t have to be touching it.
    I haven’t shown it here but if you pre select only a part of connected geometry it will drag the rest around and distort it.

Grouped geometry will always move together when outside the group, if unselected the move tool will grab whatever youclick on, if pre selected it will move that.

1 Like