SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work

Does the perpetual license from your reseller also come with the AR/VR Plugin?

No, perpetual only comes with as before, the basic desktop Pro features as standard maintenance and support. (SketchUp, Layout , Style builder). Granted, the subscription model comes with the bells and whistles.
Here’s a table of comparison

The names are a bit of a mess. Back in the ol’ days of Google the free version was officially just called SketchUp, and the commercial one SketchUp Pro. It was of course a quite bad idea to name one edition the same as the whole product family so people naturally referred to the free version as SketchUp free.

Then after Trimble acquired SketchUp (if I remember it correctly) it was renamed SketchUp Make, as if you can’t make things in Pro or something. Then a few years later the web based SketchUp Free came along, while people still used the term to refer to the free desktop version. Then came SketchUp Shop, that from the name sounds like a place you go to to get components, plugins or other assets, and that a bunch of people have said they can’t use in their shop because they don’t have a reliable internet connection out there.

Now that studio and classic are introduced, not as versions but as licenses, even I get a bit confused of what is what, especially as I associate the phrase studio with artists or tiny apartments, not large enterprises.

What if the perpetual license was just called perpetual? And Studio called Enterprise? Maybe it doesn’t sound as fancy but at least people could easily understand what it is and get on with what they try to achieve, without having to look things up or feel stupid. Isn’t that what SketchUp is about?

13 Likes

Make, was a good fit with the Maker Movement.

…and SU did a great job presenting itself ‘to’ and ‘within’ that community. It might have been that the Maker community adopted SketchUp ‘first’… But I remember seeing some NICE SketchUp Booths at those faire’s… (as photographs, I never went to one in person)… and I don’t know how much official Sponsorship SketchUp provided to those Faire’s.

My impression was that SketchUP treated the Maker community Very Well… and I hope that community gave back a little bit by buying some SketchUp Pro licenses.

I’m curious. When you click on your reseller’s “Buy SketchUp Pro Annual” are you then given a choice between the bundle with and without Safiara?

And where would the US equivalent of SketchUp Shop be found?

I can’t see Sefaira mentioned directly in the “Pro Annual” section at all. Unless it’s under the umbrella of one of the other services provided. They don’t advertise Shop, maybe they choose not to sell it.
Here’s a link, have a poke around if you like…

Did you mean the non-US version of Shop? Shop was, and still is, a subscription product. I’m not sure what countries it’s available in:

https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing/sketchup-shop

The iOS and Android environments and their devices are so dynamic that a crazy amount of Dev time will be absorbed just keeping things running.

Of all the 1000+ “Sketchup Wishlist” suggestions over the past couple of years, I don’t recall seeing topics along the lines of “I want to use Sketchup on an ipad” or an other ios/android/web browser.

I figure that there must be a big educational market for Sketchup that the global Pro users aren’t really aware of which is driving the roadmap.

The vocal Pro users posting in this thread are indeed just a tiny fraction of the global user base - but I suspect many of us tended to be the ones who broke ground and pushed boundaries with the early @Last versions, and have since been highly active in promoting it in our workplaces and industries.

Google put SketchUp in the hands of every 8 year old and turned it into a household name… but I think it’s fair to say we were expecting Trimble’s involvement would shift the balance back to the pro community. (At the very least I thought Trimble would make a working co-ordinate system a priority)!

3 Likes

@TheOnlyAaron The statement “Some members of the forum are forecasting things that don’t have any basis in reality” would amount to a denial. Yours merely states that the team has said no such thing. Likewise, moving Sketchup Pro to the cloud is very different from replacing it, so one does not preclude the other. The devil is in the details :slight_smile:

This the reason I generally steer clear of these sorts of conversations. If someone REALLY wants to twist words to mean something, there is nothing to stop them. All I was doing is repeating SU for web was intended to be an ADDITIONAL feature for users, and SkecthUp for desktop is and will continue to be our main product.

3 Likes

For how long? Thank you

Well, I guess you should take a deep look into Rhino if you think you can not produce construction drawings with it. Rhino is as capable as Autocad for producing those kind of drawings, I’ve been using it for years. I wish Layout was half as mature as Rhino for drafting.

I don’t know that I am the guy to ask that… as has been said many times, we realize that, as of now, to get the most out of a 3D drawing program, you really need educated CPU and video. That’s was how SketchUp was designed and that is how it works. I don’t know that we see a reason to put an end to it.

That fact is, we all love SketchUp and all that it can do. We do not have an interest in limiting our users. All of the changes the last few releases have been with the intention of offering more you our customers, not less.

1 Like

John,

Well I didn’t say that now did I?

If it is as “good” as ACAD, no thanks!

And the FIRE continues to burn!!!

1 Like

I agree. Microsoft tried to set a bit of a standard with the hierarchy of editions thus:
Starter, Basic, Premium, Business (Professional), Enterprise, and Ultimate.
Their Office editions were similar. It seems the last 3 versions they’ve pared the editions way down

For the bundled Pro subscription …

SketchUp Pro Bundle
SketchUp Pro Suite
SketchUp Pro Business

For the one called “Studio” …

SketchUp Pro Contractor
SketchUp Pro Enterprise

Note that it might look (to some) like using “Studio” is an attempt to leverage the popularity of Microsoft’s products that use the “Studio” descriptor.

2 Likes

I’ll probably get flamed for this…but every release seems to bring a bit of a brush fire…and then goes out…yesterday reading this thread I thought it had jumped several roads and ignited the forest…however…I’m not about to get into one of those foil bags anytime soon…unless… :fuelpump: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What’s your favorite Barbecue Sauce, Charlie?

Last March in an AIA/CT seminar on mass timber construction by a couple local chapter members, Alan Organschi mentioned that they use Rhino. Given all their use of bent and laminated wood construction, they probably make real use of NURBS modeling. I can’t say I’m intimate with what their design and construction document process is, but I’d be interested to know. The only drawings I could find on their website were on a WIP page:

1 Like