SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work

I understand this for businesses with multiple licenses. For businesses that only have 1 pro license though (solo practice architect), the new subscription model is bad. Once the subscription ends, you can’t edit the models & drawings anymore. So even after switching to FormZ for instance, you would still have to buy SketchUps license for several years until all the projects you did in SketchUp are finished construction.

So I really really hope the classic license will be here for many years as well. The different statements in this thread by Trimble Team members (‘phased out’ ‘no decision’ etc) really don’t help.

3 Likes

That’s why they want a subscription model. Because guys like you and me stick to a simple philosophy: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But they want to keep a revenue stream coming. But that’s not our problem. Make a product. If it’s good, we’ll buy it. If it’s good enough, we’ll buy it again, if and when we see fit. As for me, there’s not going to be any “software subscriptions” in my life.

3 Likes

Wow. Say you have 10,000 paid existing Pro subscribers at $200 each. That’s $2,000,000 worth of maintenance and upgrades… All for a dashed line?

4 Likes

Mine works just fine …

1 Like

John, please think this statement through.

Why would I (we, Pro users) be looking for updates on the online versions?

• I don’t use Free, for both licencing and practicality reasons (connectivity and lack of extension support) and it doesn’t have Layout.
  • I don’t use Shop because of practicality reasons (connectivity and lack of extensions support) and it doesn’t have Layout, plus I don’t support subscription based software.
  • I have a paid up licence for SU Pro, with active / valid maintenance and support, thus contractually you’re bound to provide such service if updates / fixes are done within the “snapshot of code period” you refer to.

So, by your own admission, updates were done to both Free and Shop, yet not passed on to your Pro customers even if they had valid maintenance and support? That doesn’t exactly create a trusting environment, now does it?

8 Likes

I’ve made a wishlist for LO Extensions some time ago.

@JoeDrafter, I added two ideas from your list here too. Some of the ideas, like vector patterns, are hard to implement as extensions but would be very useful as native features. Some I had problems understanding but feel free to add them yourself with a short explanation!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure now that this must be an error.
Shop isn’t able to Use or Create Dynamic components.

1 Like

SketchUp Team,
Could you please let us know if this is an error or not? I was pretty excited about this change, I was planning on getting five of my coworkers a Shop license to basically use the move tool, rotate tool and interact with dynamic components to create 3D layouts.

Thank you -
Aaron Marr

2 Likes

Goodmorning @Eneroth3 (and @jbacus), I didn’t want to add too much here because it’s not the right thread. I re-composed my list on your forum this morning and add some explainations. Thx for your interest.

2 Likes

@aaron.marr,
can you just quote the phrase in this forum where you read that Shop version have DC?

It’s posted several posts above.

That’s odd. In that schema it says that in Shop You can use and create DCs, nothing about being able to edit then. Contrary to Pro an Studio where you can create and edit them. Not being able to use them? :wink:

1 Like

oh I see! So the question is: what “create” means?

Well, actually I would be asking what Use means as well as Create.
A Dynamic component when used can be manipulated in ways that the creator has specified. For example you can scale a fence component along its length and it will add more pickets. But as far as I see when you add a dynamic component to a shop model it loses the dynamic attributes.

Edit should be the use of the advanced dynamic components editor .in the past only available to pro users. use should be manipulating after it’s been created…

I suggest you start a new thread @aaron.marr, and add other relevant details.

It may end up looking like a SU Shop feature requests.

The component Attributes (editor) is a very nice tool btw… something SketchUp could possibly focus more attention on for future upgrades.

The @last team would be ashamed at Trimbles antics, pathetic money grab in progress, time to move on @last.

2 Likes

@jbacus You cannot he serious. To suggest that the plugins someone might want for layout is somehow not painfully obvious.

2 Likes

The subscription base software platform is the industry standard now. Why people are surprised, I have no idea. Heck, my email (office 360) is subscription. Since you can still buy a perpetual license, is it just fear of what happens down the road? Autodesk, DataCAD all have been subscription based for years at a much higher cost. I think you’ll find all software following this model very soon.

SketchUp and Layout are priced at a bargain cost for what you can achieve. Any business that is even remotely profitable would see $299/yr as a minimal expense given the competition.

As for new features in the 2019 release, I think everyone needs to read the bug fixes, instead of simply focusing on added features. Remember, what makes SU so powerful is simplicity. You can make it as big as you like with plugins, or as simple as you like using native tools. The key is the base software. I for one don’t want to see it loaded up with features. That would destroy the whole premise of why I, and many of you love it so much. Performance is far more important than additions.

Just my 2 cents.

7 Likes