SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work

Thank you, and I’m glad our new pricing model makes it easier for you to afford SketchUp. That was exactly what we hoped, and I’m pleased to welcome you to our user community!

I haven’t said it yet in this thread, but I have answered this question in great detail in the thread “What’s up with SketchUp Make?”. In short (that thread is over 900 posts long!) the launch of SketchUp for Web in no way impacts our future support for SketchUp desktop client. Both versions of SketchUp share a common modeling core, though their UI differs in various ways. If you depend on high performance and access to modeling extensions, SketchUp Pro on your desktop computer remains the best choice.

We have never shared our roadmap publically, for a variety of reasons. The most inflexible of those reasons has to do with our status as a publically-traded U.S. corporation, where “forward-looking statements” (like the implicit promises of future feature development in a roadmap) are explicitly prohibited under US GAAP standards. As private companies, neither Cortona nor Skatter are subject to these rules.

I certainly do take all comments from our user community seriously, as evidenced by my regular posting on these forums answering questions. But if you’re mainly worried that the release of SketchUp for Web signifies and end to development for SketchUp Pro for Windows or macOS, please allow me to assure you that we are planning to continue support for both platforms for a long time.

1 Like