SketchUp Doesn't Consider Component a Solid

Right, it’s more of a native tools “tricks” demo. I don’t imagine anyone’s tried to go further with native tools threading in a How-To in the highly mathy way you alluded to.

So I understand thread profiles now and I just have one question: technically you could create the spiral in exactly the same way as shown in the video, weld the lines making up the spiral, and then create a profile similar to one of the ones shown in the picture, and then you could use the Follow Me Tool to extrude the profile and create the threads. That would theoretically work with native tools, right?

I misspoke. When you use FM on a spiral, the orientation of your “cut” surface distorts

Looks like Brian is taking over so I’ll leave it to him.

Haha, barely. I’ve been meaning to look up your referenced How-to of the extension-included method for a while. Although, I enjoy pushing Native Tools to their limits without using math, in the Aaron style

1 Like

Yeah, I kinda forgot about the distortion but I’m sure if it was really a big deal you could figure out a workaround using push-pull, and the intersect faces tool to get a proper surface cut.
@DaveR I understand if you’ve got other stuff to handle but I just wanted to say I appreciate your help that you have given me.
@brianmowrey I want to learn how to push Native Tools to their limits as well, especially since I don’t really have another option.

Maybe. Spiral cut in native is actually something I tried to figure out on the first ever model I tried to do on my own, back in October. Almost needless to say, I did not succeed.

Well, at least I must be getting a little better from my three months put in… Spiral cut in native with no maths.

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 12.57.22
Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 12.59.44
Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 13.08.17

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.