Sketchup crashes every few minutes

I’ve reached out to the developer of SUSolid to see if calls to Model.abort_operation during observer events sounded familiar. Awaiting feedback.

Even if you don’t provide information in all reports (however, the first one would be nice if it had some context) then it still helps us. Each reports indicates to use how frequent the crash happen. By clicking Submit instead of Close you are doing us a favor.

Could you include me in that loop? I’d like to reproduce it on this end as well so we can take measures to prevent this crash in the future.

I’ve been trying to reproduce, having set AutoSave to 1min, SU2015 64bit, Windows. Open an existing file, make an edit. Open a group/component and activating the extensions. I cannot seem to get a crash when AutoSave kicks in.

Any chance you can give us some exact steps, click by click from when you start SU til you see the crash?

I reproduce it 100% of the time this way:
SUSolid loaded == it doesn’t seem to matter what else is loaded. It works with a fresh install of SU.
Open a file == The size of the file seems to be irrelevant also.
Select an object and continually move it around until autosave kicks in.
Wait…
CRASH!

I think it works with other operations as I have had it crash with other than move. The key is that the operation must be in process when autosave kicks in. Move is easy to duplicate.

Ah - I was just leaving it open and left it just sitting there. Will see if I can reproduce that.
(And please let me know if you hear from the author.)

UPDATE: I’ve been using Sketchup intensively the past few days, with SuSolid loaded and often employed, with Autosave/Backup disabled. Result: it’s working really smoothly and not a single crash.

Until I disabled Autosave my heart was in my mouth every time I used the Move tool, and to a lesser extent Push. Probably 20% of the time Sketchup would crash in the middle of an action. Considering how often those tools are used, that’s a LOT. Any hesitation spelt disaster. Now I can blithely faff about with them, trying all sorts of crazy angles and distortions and the program breezes through unscathed. What a relief! Thanks again to Bill for the fix.

The only ‘downside’ is that I can’t send a crash report. I did send s several over the past few months when the problem was happening though- is there any way you boffins can unearth those? Let me know if there is some identifying registration number or whatever you need.

Anyway, it’s definitely not SuSolid per se that’s at fault, it’s actually a brilliant plugin I’d recommend to anyone. Seems to be some quirky interaction with short Autosave times.

It is an issue with autosave period. Doesn’t matter how short the save interval is.
Since SUSolid is the only plugin that does it, to my knowledge, it is obviously something SUSolid is doing that a save operation on SU doesn’t like. Still waiting for the author.

It could be different problems. We have identified SUSolid calling some methods during observer events that could cause issues - even crashes, as seen in our crash logs. We’re trying to reproduce on our end to protect against this in the future and reached out to the developer to find a solution on his side.

What SketchUp version did you use? What platform? And did you enter any information in the dialog? (Without that it’s hard to find the exact crash.)

a reply from the author…
…I know where the problem is ,but don’t have a solution yet…

At Google, we celebrated the “Centi-thread”. I’m not sure we’ve had a Centi-thread at Trimble. 71 down, 29 to go!!!

Hello,
I’m the author of the SUSolid plugin and now I finally managed to reproduce the bug on my pc and solved it.
So,to reproduce the bug,there must be the “onPreSaveModel” observer activated and “model.abort_operation” in the observer code ,Also the move tool must be selected and the model should be dragged around.When releasing the model and if autosave time expired,the observer is trigged more than 100 times .In my case the crash happens when exiting Sketchup.

I have fixed the SUSolid plugin by executing the “model.abort_operation” only when SUSolid tools are activated,so the observer will not execute any code when the move tool or other will be activated.

But the behaviour of executing the observer code more than 100 times is a bug in Sketchup so it would be good if they also fix it.

I’m sorry that didn’t know about this thread before.
David Malnar

Thanks, David. I’ll let Thom get in touch with you, and we’ll certainly look for this in extensions.sketchup.com, and I’ve filed a bug to see if there’s anything we can do in the short or intermediate term to prevent this from happening.

-b

Thank you Barry ,
I have contacted Thomas with the sample code to reproduce the crash.
Now I’m preparing the SUSolid plugin to finally upload on Extensions Warehouse.
David Malnar

I’ve been able to reproduce the crash now - the key was to keep another tool, like Move, active while AutoSave triggered with an observer calling abort_operation active. So that’s good that we can now reproduce and protect against such crash in the future.

That being said, calling abort_operation in the middle of an observer event should not be done. I’ve added a task for myself to write up an article that describe best practices with observers and undo handling - as we don’t actually provide one right now making it very hard to know what to do and not to do. We have a lot to improve on in the area of messaging best practices.

I’m also following up with David on alternatives to abort_operation and getting the extension into EW.

Great to hear! been driving me mental for ages…!

Bill I understand your frustration. I updated to Sketchup 2015 64 bit in March (on ACER Aspire E15 4GB RAM; i5-5200 processor and intel HD 5500 graphics card). Since then Sketchup crashes every couple of minutes during use, sometimes with a bug splat mostly closing without notice and sometimes when no activity has occurred for some seconds. I have reinstalled a number of times and have disabled hardware acceleration, with no change to the crashing. I have created a lot of sketchup models over the years and have never had any problems. I am soooooo frustrated with this version that I have stopped using Sketchup. I will uninstall again and try disabling autosave and plug-ins (whatever they are). Fingers crossed.

I uninstalled old versions and reinstalled Sketchup 2015. I disabled autosave and backup. I don’t believe I have any add in or plug ins installed. The program closed without notice after about 5 minutes use. I am going spare. Any ideas? Regards Keith Swann

Keith, private message me how you’re annotating your crashes (name, email) and if you’re Mac or PC and I’ll look at them.

I found it. We’re efforting.

Thanks all for your efforting, it’s great to have such friendly smart boffins on tap :slight_smile: