Sketchup Code of an Object?

So I want to print an object that I found posted online. However the author posted just the code (at least that’s what I’m assuming it is?) for the .skp file. Being that I am extremely new to sketchup, what do i do with this? How do I take this code and use it to display the object in sketchup?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “just the code”? .skp is the native file format of SketchUp. If you have the .skp file, you just need to open it using SketchUp. You can then make sure it is suitable for printing (i.e. SketchUp considers the object to be a “solid”) and export from SketchUp in a format your 3D printer can accept - usually stl.

Well i figured there would be a file to download but there wasn’t.
Here is a sample of the “code”;

“໿SketchUp Model௿{16.1.1449}躻몹䫴뒁䐐탘⻝ÿ␶垈噃牥楳湯慍ー䌉䄀爀挀䌀甀爀瘀攀̀＀䌊䄀琀琀爀椀戀甀琀攀＀䌓䄀琀琀爀椀戀甀琀攀䌀漀渀琀愀椀渀攀爀＀䌏䄀琀琀爀椀戀甀琀攀一愀洀攀搀Ā＀䌐䈀愀挀欀最爀漀甀渀搀䤀洀愀最攀਀＀䌇䌀愀洀攀爀愀Ԁ＀䌊䌀漀洀瀀漀渀攀渀琀଀＀䌒䌀漀洀瀀漀渀攀渀琀䈀攀栀愀瘀椀漀爀Ԁ＀䌔䌀漀洀瀀漀渀攀渀琀䐀攀昀椀渀椀琀椀漀渀਀＀䌒䌀漀洀瀀漀渀攀渀琀䤀渀猀琀愀渀挀攀Ԁ＀䌕䌀漀渀猀琀爀甀挀琀椀漀渀䜀攀漀洀攀琀爀礀＀䌑䌀漀渀猀琀爀甀挀琀椀漀渀䰀椀渀攀Ā＀䌒䌀漀渀猀琀爀甀挀琀椀漀渀倀漀椀渀琀＀䌆䌀甀爀瘀攀Ѐ＀䌏䐀攀昀椀渀椀琀椀漀渀䰀椀猀琀＀䌄䐀椀戀̀＀”

This is from GitHub if that makes any difference?

That looks like you are trying to view the contents of a .skp file using a text editor. A .skp file is not text, it is binary. You have to open it using SketchUp.

How can I do that if there is no file to download? (Sorry if this is a ridiculously dumb question, i’m very new to github and sketchup!)

OK, you’ve lost me. What are you looking at on GitHub and how? The GitHub interface normally has click points to download files from a repository.

https://github.com/sparkfun/Pokedex/blob/master/Kanto/kanto_pokedex_iPhone6S_sketchup_v2.skp

There is what I’m trying to use from GitHub, I figured there would be a click point to download it but unless I’m missing something really obvious, there is not. What should I do?

just right click to download the linked file instead of opening it in a new page…

john

I tried this, but every time I try to open it I get an error message saying “This does not appear to be a SketchUp model!”

It appears that the author has designated the file as text not binary in GitHub, and that makes it very difficult to download it correctly!

I just tried as well and it failed,…

BUT, if you download the repository, it’s fine…

john

Sorry, you kinda lost me at repository? How do I do that?

Following John’s idea, here you are:

kanto_pokedex_iPhone6S_sketchup_v2.skp (406.9 KB)

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you for the help guys!!