SketchUp 3D Basecamp and COVID-19

I just read a good blog in my exotic language, about human group dynamics. Even if you divide a group of people randomly into smaller units, they immediately start to think in terms of a “we” versus “they” dichotomy, with everything good attributed to “us” and bad things to “them”.
The current epidemic has made this very apparent. People living in areas with few infections attribute the reason for higher contamination to the bad character or habits of people living there.

I thought Americans are free to choose where in their country they want to live. And that the borders of the states are mostly quite random, especially as viewed in modern terms.

2 Likes

Just 5 minutes ago I was reading of a spike in gun sales here with a lot of first time buyers. I can kind of understand in the aftermath of a natural disaster when authorities may have a hard time getting to you, but this is not that case. If anything, police are expecting a drop in property crime, because everyone is home 24/7. The governor of Connecticut is allowing gun sales to continue, but by appointment only to enforce social distancing.

1 Like

100 miles distance?
What would you need a gun for? To “kill” a virus?

2 Likes

emergency health workers lives should not be further endangered by allowing people to have guns in their possession…

surrendering weapons should be a condition of receiving social, medical or financial aid…

john

1 Like

Because the Post Apocalypse days are coming, I guess! Who knew that Mad Max was so prescient, except the fighting would be over toilet paper instead of gasoline or water.

True.
Generally, one cannot discern crossing state lines while traveling were it not for the usual welcome signs along major highways.

Local governments are trying to limit visitors from outside their communities.

This travel advisory email came to me from Vilas County, Wisconsin, where I lived when first invited into the Sage program 10 yrs ago. I’m on their mailing list as I still own a parcel of land there.

Vilas County is sparsely populated. It’s mostly forest and lakes with far more deer than humans.
But the county has one of the highest populations of older adults in the State of Wisconsin.

Vilas County_Wisconsin_COVID-19 ADVISORY TO SEASONAL AND SECOND HOMEOWNERS.pdf (209.6 KB)

1 Like

Unfortunately, there’s this pesky Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that prevents that.

I feel like this thread has become just purely about COVID 19 and not at all about BaseCamp 2020. That’s fine of course, but it feels awkward to hear the same things here as I do everywhere else, good or bad. Feel free to remove this comment. I just would like to stick to the topic and not have to hear so much fear mongering on the forum.

10 Likes

It’s actually about both. I think it also serves as a public service announcement in an effort to inform and educate on the seriousness of this crisis. I’ve have noticed that people are less likely to joke about the pandemic anymore which I think is a good thing.

I have a lot of friends in the SketchUp community who are older than me and are considered high risk. I am sincerely concerned for their safety and urge them to do everything they can to self isolate until this thing blows itself out. I’m hoping to see all of them at the upcoming Basecamp even if it is delayed a few months.

2 Likes

I fully agree, as it is with any new technology. We also need to look with the same glasses at ourselves. Humanity itself exhibits an exponential growth of its population but also of technological development. We rush to scale up new developments before we actually have understood them (we needed 100 years and billions of Diesel cars to understand that we should have created electric cars instead, and electric cars might turn out again as a big mistake at a later time).

In fact, exponential spreading of (dead) viruses or growth of (living) microorganisms is only a simplified model. In reality, it is not exponential, but rather sigmoidal and saturates at a certain level or diminishes.

If this is in relation to the appearance of Covid-19, I haven’t seen any facts or references to this.

I am also rather convinced this statement is not true at the current time. While technologically we can attach nucleobases to each other following a sequence designed on a computer (so in theory this statement could be a future scenario), we have not enough understanding of interactions and side-effects between genes and their encoded proteins to create artificial fully functional genomes from scratch. At most, we can transplant one or several pre-existing genes from one species to another (like a building block) and hope it has not any unexpected side effects.

This is also the proof why rumors about Covid-19 being designed in a lab are baseless. In comparison to older viruses from the Corona family, the new one contains several thousand mutations/edits of which most have no effect. Doing thousands of small gene edits is neither feasible nor rational if someone is interested in a handful of targeted modifications. A bio-weapon virus would have been easily uncovered by a small number of larger edits and because the edited subsequences would match sequences found in genomes of existing species.

3 Likes

Fair enough. To the question of “What about September?” this New York Times interactive graphic lets you see the effect out to October of differing amounts of intervention. Anywhere from 30 to 60 days of intervention sees another wave ramping up in Sept~Oct. Only 90 days of intervention seems to really put a lid on it. It’s the SketchUp team’s call what to do, and I don’t expect them to call it just yet. The Tokyo Olympics have officially been postponed, but the Tour de France has not as yet. If 3D Basecamp goes online, I’ll do what’s required for that.

1 Like

this seems to be a fairly non-partisan overview on the current state of play…

john

1 Like

Well I’m officially not going to Basecamp. Not because of the coronavirus, but because my wife is pregnant :slight_smile: and will be due sometime in September. So I’ve made the call to back out of the sessions/classes I was going to present. :frowning: If Basecamp continues as scheduled, unfortunately I’m going to miss all of you this year.

EDIT: BTW, we’re having identical TWINS!

20 Likes

Big congratulations! A little joy in a dark time, that’s wonderful news.

2 Likes

Perhaps an online or digital Basecamp makes the most sense right now. Not really the preferred format that Basecamp should take but all these projections are showing a much longer time frame than many of us originally thought. When does this all end?

1 Like

This Corner Bar becomes a 24/7 Zoom meeting!

2 Likes

I just got furloughed from my job. Going to Basecamp is now a luxury that I need to give up. Hopefully that refund policy is lenient.

1 Like

I’m kind of in the same boat. As of Mar. 10th things have significantly slowed down for me. Even if I was able (no immediate health risk to family members) to go to Basecamp, financially it would be very difficult now. I was actually planning on setting up a booth this time around to promote the plugins.

The situation is obviously complicated, dynamic and confusing for the layperson. Here is a perspective from someone on the front lines, NY ICU Doctor. The Q & A section at the end provides some duration estimates. May be a most noteworthy 38 minutes you spend. Share with family and friends.

2 Likes

Interesting projections for the US and by state:

1 Like