SketchUp 2022 Crashing - Copying/Moving

I upgraded to SketchUp 2022 from 2021 and I keep having issues with crashing when copying ungrouped entities.

Context: I use SketchUp to design patios/decks/pools etc. for my job. Within the same .skp file we will take the design, copy, and move to make changes. That way all design iterations are within the same document. When I do this to designs I have NOT grouped all together SketchUp will crash. My coworker and I use the same exact PC and he experiences the same issues.

I did not have this issue with 2021.

The obvious solution is to just group entities into one group before doing this. However, I was wondering if others were having this problem. Are there settings I can adjust to prevent this. My laptop has good specs so I am not worried about not having the power or output capabilities.

Here are the specs anyway:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
  • 16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)
  • NVIDIA RTX 3060 LAPTOP GPU

I haven’t seen this issue. I’m curious, though. You list two different GPUs. Which one is SketchUp using? Have you updated the graphics drivers recently?

When you installed SketchUp 2022 did you do so correctly? That requires right clicking on the downloaded installed and choosing Run as administrator (while logged into Windows with your normal user account).

Not specific to this issue but I wonder about your workflow of copying and moving the model to make iterations. Seems to me that with proper tag usage you could do all of this in a single copy of the model. That would helped to keep file size down because you don’t need copies of stuff that will be the same for each iteration and you can easily mix and match elements as desired for different scenes.

The AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS is the CPU with an integrated graphics processor. I did not realize you can designate which GPU is running what program, something I will look into.

Thanks for the Tip about the Tags. I need to do more research into it. When designs get changed a lot the file size definitely becomes an issue.

When you have a discrete GPU it’s best to use it instead of the integrated graphics because the integrated one has to share resources with the CPU. Also, if this is a notebook, make sure you are using it plugged into mains power so the computer isn’t trying to conserve power from the battery.

As for tags, they add a lot of capability and power to your modeling. Make sure you follow correct procuedures. Keep Untagged active, create and leave all geometry untagged. Only give tags to groups and components in the model.

1 Like