I just updated from Sketchup 2017 classic license to Sketchup Pro 2021. I’m having great difficulties opening my files which are made in Sketchup 2017. It takes forever. While opening the program is unresponsive and eat’s up a lot of CPU and RAM but doesn’t crash and it literally takes like 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile I just see the spinning wheel. The same file opens in just seconds in Sketchup 2017.
I just opened the original file (130MB) with
SU2017Make: ~ 10 sec
SU2020: ~ 10 sec asked if I want to fix problem then after other ~25 sec is opened
SU2021: ~ 30 sec (I guess this one fixed it without question)
I saved the fixed file with SU2020 as 2017 format. Then opened:
SU2017Make: ~ 9 sec
SU2020: ~ 13 sec
SU2021: ~ 13 sec
I purged then I saved the file with SU2020 as 2017 format. (20MB) Then opened:
SU2017Make: ~ 5sec
SU2020: ~ 5 sec
SU2021: ~ 5 sec
I saved the purged file in SU2021 and ended up with 10,6MB and opening time ~ 3 sec.
a) There was an error in the original file what SU2017 did not recognize, therefore opened it without fixing .
b) A later version of SU has already been prepared to detect this kind of error, so the time spent correcting the error increased the opening time.
Ok so I installed CleanUp3 on my SU 2017 and tried it out on the model I shared with you. I got it down to 16 mb. and the load time is now only 4 seconds. Thanks you SO MUCH guys.
However I feel like I’m flying a bit blind – I don’t really know which of the options in ClenUp I should use and which not to use. I tried running it with the default setting but cranked the “Smooth edges by angle” up to 10. Seemed like it worked well and nothing of importance has been removed/altered in a bad way. Maybe that’s just luck however.