The ∞ SketchUp Wish List

With Sketchup 2018 probably just round the corner now, it’s probably a bit late to be adding anything (and these two may have a read been covered above),

1. Please, Please, PLEASE provide Sketchup with multi-processor/multi-core support. I have a Dell workstation with two Xeon processors, each with 10 cores running at 2.3 GHz (i.e. 20 cores in total). I bought this specifically to use with programs like Sketchup, and I almost couldn’t believe Sketchup only uses one core! Let’s just say Sketchup is “somewhat throttled” by its lack of multicore architecture, even on more “standard” systems than mine. By contrast, virtually everything else I use for 3D modelling (including VRay) makes extensive use of multiple cores, and the job gets done much, much quicker.

2. A more effective way of being able to provide wraparound backdrops using a 360° panorama. Again, I use other 3D tools (Chief Architect, for example) which have a much simpler and much more effective way of creating 360° backdrops than using a cylinder that goes all the way around the model!

1 Like

V-Ray is not a 3D modeling tool. It’s a renderer.

V-Ray only needs to read the model and can let several processes render different parts individually. You can even use a render ffarm to render different parts of the same image on different computers. SketchUp is a modeler and needs to interact with the model, which can’t easily be done in separate threads simultaneously.

As I always say: The Intel Pentium processor together with the first multiprocessor motherboards, and the first version of Windows NT was released in 1993, and Autodesk promised to release multithreaded versions of AutoCad and 3D Studio Max shortly. We are still waiting in 2017. Non-realtime photorealistic rendering can and has been multithreaded for years, but modelling interfaces remain single thread in all applications. It might be an impossible task (perhaps the 24 years passed proves it).

3 Likes

In multiple threads…

3 Likes

Integrate Layout in Sketchup as it happens in BIM applications. To be able to print plans directly from the 3D model. See example of the Edificius software.

2 Likes

Pro might import DWG’s, but it is halfbaked. Importing a large venue file (2d) thousands of items are being ignored, texts are deleted, measurements gone. I have not got a clue why we should pay for dwg import in pro that is not working as it should be. With most building-related dwg’s import is quite useless.

IN Win you can dock lots of icons in multilayered blocks. As we use quite a number of plugins we need an option to do the same on mac. The toolbars always mess themselves up. Please add this workflow-feature to 2018.

Again for 2019, I would really like to see the ability to dock HTML dialogs in the existing trays.

Add api to the camera class to get the 4x4 projection matrix of opengl. Now only eye target and up vector is available, these are responsible for view matrix, but in projection matrix is missing for the whole model-view-projection matrix.

1 Like

A small thing. Please, please please change the drop down list of assignable layers in Entity Info so it can display more than the current 5! (on Mac) also maybe a keystroke list jump. I use a lot of layers and having to scroll through a list that only shows 5 at a time. A small thing but a big productivity boost.

3 Likes

Did you know that while the Layer drop down list is open, you can type the first letter or so of the layer name to get to it more quickly. That can save you from scrolling the list altogether.

1 Like

Not on a mac it doesn’t. It starts typing and adds a new layer. :0( it’s very annoying. As soon as you click the drop down it focussed on the form entry field, you can scroll but if you hit a key it starts to input text into he field.

you can use the arrow up/down keys, but none of the jump modifiers…

john

Adjustable dimensions like in OnShape, where you can drag the number and place it where it makes the most visual sense.

For Layout: add ‘move drawing to origin’ to the options when importing dxf/dwg files.
Reason: 2018: dxf - failed to insert

You mean something like this? It’s already available in LayOut.

Its been covered in an older thread, but a PAGE INDEX feature in Layout would seem really easy to make through the auto-text feature. Pretty crazy its not an option and all page names have to be manually entered on my cover page table of contents.

2 Likes

Nested layers, please. Like in, for example, McNeel Rhino.

Large models often need many layers.

But once you go above 30 or so layers, the initial apparent simplicity of a flat layer hierarchy soon turns into an unnecessary awkwardness. Now, how do I quickly hide all 13 vegetation type layers? Where is my 6th rooftype layer? Hmm… Let me group the layers, and problem is solved. Wait a minute - Sketchup won’t let me.

And please rename “layers” to “tags” or similar, based on the layer management improvements that @eneroth3 has previously suggested.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sketchup 2019 Feature Requests

I am surprised nobody else liked or replied. This has been a consistent problem for me so far. That being said- I have recently re-worked my layers and it may be possible that using a lot of layers with good naming convention and using them diligently will eliminate this problem (with a little bit of “send forward/back” command)- can’t say for sure yet.

Also the LO outliner would need to be a little bit different than the SU outliner, given that Layers in LO have more control over stuff than Layers in SU

1 Like