SketchUp 2019.2

I mentioned that on Mac it’s easy to accidentally install the new version while SketchUp is still open, and then you get the mixture of versions. In addition to checking the DMG name and size, after you have replaced the old version, go into /Applications/SketchUp 2019, and see if all three modified dates are showing July 15 2019.

The problem doesn’t come up in Windows, because Windows insists on you uninstalling the existing version.

Windows overwrites, no uninstall necessary.

I do so much installing of different versions that it’s possible I had only seen that when installing an earlier version. Like this:

When installing a later version Windows does let you know if something is still open. In my test just now I got this series of alerts:

unable
restart

Main point is that on Mac you would get none of those warnings, the copy into Applications will seem like it went ok.

On a Mac, do you just quit the application, run the installer and overwrite the existing version, or do you have to do more, like to uninstall the license or application first?

There is no installer. You quit SketchUp, mount the DMG, drag the new SketchUp 2019 folder onto the Applications alias, and let it replace the old version.

The license is buried in the Mac OS Library folders, and remains intact when you’re just updating the application itself.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what I thought for an incremental update.

Hi Colin-

Thanks for responding. I just tried downloading again and am sending you a screen shot. After it’s installed, asking me if I want to replace the older installation, I open up, go to About Sketchup, and it still comes up with 19.0.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Craig

Personally, I choose “Save File” not “Open with”, and even modify the file name so it’s unique and doesn’t replace older installers. Then I go find it, and do the installation. That way, there’s a previous version to go back to if things go wrong.

download it with Safari…

and try again…

john

Something looks desperately wrong with that image! You have had SketchUp 2019 since two months before it was released.

I will PM you a link that I know gets exactly the right DMG, and it won’t matter if you’re using Firefox.

Thanks for your continued efforts. I went to the link you attached, screen shot attached, downloaded; ’ the installer asked if I wanted to replace an older version/yes. Opened a new drawing file, went to ‘About SU’ and it still shows 19.0.684. Thanks again.

As suggested, do not open or mount the image. Download the file to your desktop. Once the download is complete, double-click the downloaded file.

I suspect that the installation is never completing, and you are not getting anything actually installed.

Thanks all. Finally got it. Not sure what the problem was; it may have been SU had not been quit. Thanks again.

That was my thought. I’ve previously pointed out the issue to QA, and I know they intend to do something about it. Can’t tell you what, or when that will be!

I’m curious if this oddity has been explained.