The ∞ SketchUp Wish List

Obvious answer: Don’t. :smiley:

1 Like

Copied from my wishlist for 2016 - to make working with SketchUp & Layout even more productive and fun:

SU: fix for the outliner so there’s no need anymore to close the outliner before using ruby plugins (no more sloooow execution of plugins if you forgot to close it)
SU: more API options for customizing dimensions with ruby plugins (styling options).
SU: material browser: add material name as a text label in the bottom of every thumbnail (instead of mouse overs)
SU: extra customization options for the UI: the getting started toolbar has nice flyouts. Would be great if those were available for creating custom toolbars - especially for third party plugins. This could highly clean up the interface and give back workspace.
SU: (option to) not rename the result of boolean operations. If you take the effort to name every group & component (outliner based workflow), it’s not nice to have to rename your objects every time a boolean operation is used.
SU: fix for very long saving times when using ‘redefine thumbnail on save’

LO: fix for getting the current scale after right clicking on a inserted scene. At the moment its broken most of the time and the current scale is only visible in the tray.
LO: apply the same logic for viewing while using an operation like in SU. When using a Wacom pen instead of a mouse, the zoom command in LO breaks the current tool (pencil) - in Sketchup it doesn’t.

I recommend that Trimble develop a Sketchup Cad. For architects and engineers with the same function of acad or intellicad. Or a partnership with intellicad to develop a file converter. I got Sketchup from version 8, but from the last years I begin to use for develop 3d presentation for clients. More cad commands features will be a plus.

1 Like

Scenes in Layout should be controlled in Layout - not in SU.

conceptually this is mixed up at the moment

SU is for creating , editing data

LAYOUT is for presenting data

This is a fundamental rule of good database design

While not a fan of Autocad at least they respected this clear separation of duties. [Actually I hate Autocad]

in LAYOUT I should be able to independently turn on/off SU layers, use different styles, setup different views etc etc and SAVE those setting in LAYOUT, never having to go back into SU to control what I see in LAYOUT.

A simple example .

I have a large project

I ask one of my staff to develop one section in SU

Another staff to develop another section also in SU

and a third staff to combine both models in LAYOUT and create drawing sheets

They can all work independently and yet not tread on each others toes.

12 Likes

Since everything is gong well on 2017 with various extensions. But I’m still afraid about dealing with large size file by using many attractive detailed models.THE ONLY DEMAND IS “FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTER” or try to find some new way to REDUCE the size of models~~~~

1 Like

the offset tool got better in 2017 a lot but ini 2018 please make it work with island selections and also with multiple selections at once… that would be supreme…

AND … the creating components window… ok its good its there automatic but it takes always a few seconds until a component is created… the old pre 2017 shortcut method were the window would nop popup just was click and done!!!

maybe you can tune the process so that the “freeze” moment is not there when creating components with names…

And following to that: in the layer state an overview of the layers that excist in the X-ref. Now the layers are mixed with the current model. An option to have the filename in front of the layername would be nice.

E.g.:
A base file called “Situation.skp” with multiple layers, combine with the X-ref “Building.skp” would give a Layer state like:
Layer01
Layer02
Layer03
Building | Layer01
Building | Layer03
Building | Layer04

This way it would be easier to define the layers that are packed with the Building.skp.

It would be nice to have a robust VCB…

One that can do calculations, and also handle variables. . . (variables that could link to a DC’s table, or some other table that houses a basic set of user defined parametric values.

1 Like

I think the use would be a bit niche, but I do think the layers panel is due an update. I would instead wish for layers with the ability to group - probably just by using prefixes followed by a hyphen. Vectorworks does this, and the complex set of layers are so much more manageable with this simple feature.

2 Likes

Since they’re not really layers in the traditional sense anyway, I’d love it much more if they behaved like tags-- i.e. you could assign multiple tags to an object, which you currently can’t do. That would solve the need for nesting things in complicated groups just to have layer organization.

For example say you have a house modeled with all the furniture. Rather than have a chair group which is on the Chairs layer, inside the Bedroom group on a Bedrooms layer, inside the Floor 2 group on a 2nd Floor layer, you just have the chair group tagged with the Chairs, Bedroom, and 2nd Floor labels.

10 Likes

To all,

I think the user interface could do with an update to look more, well professional looking & easier on the eye. Windows10 gave us back the Dark-side theme option, well grey/black look rather than the white bleached out look. So something along those lines would be good & more restful on the old eye-balls. :eye: :eye:

Just a thought.

4 Likes

Little improvement on guide lines so it works more like move tool :

1. start your guide line
  2. enter lenght
  3. hit enter
    4. write how many copies or divisions you want (2x or /2)
1 Like

You can already copy guidelines with Move/Copy and make an array of them just like you’d do with any other entity.

now you need to place guide line, them select it again, move it and only then choose copy/divide.
What I’m saying is to have it straight after placing guide line
For example I have wall and want to divide it in 5. I start guide from one wall and move it to next, then hit /5 and its done.

1 Like

You said you wanted it to work like the Move tool which it already does. To make an array of copies you have to already have the original entity in place.

I know what you’re getting at. I’m just pointing out that what you asked for… [quote=“Simonas, post:32, topic:33695”]
so it works more like move tool[/quote]

…already exists.

I am not a gurú or pro in sketchup, but tools like fillet, trim and mirror would be nice. Also snap points (perpendicular, intersection). I continue beliving that trimble should be make a sketchup CAD versión for building design. someone can suggest an plugin with those tools. thanks

There are already plugins for fillet, trim and mirror. You want them as native tools?

And inference points/lines for perpendicular and intersection are already there in recent versions of SU. Do you think ‘snap points’ would work differently from inference points? If so, how?

I’ve missed having this too. Of course you can first draw the guideline, switch to move tool, grab it it, hit Ctrl, drag it onto an arbitrary point on the edge you used to create it and then enter / or * and a number but as you say it would be more convenient to just have this functionality built in to the Tape Measurement Tool.

1 Like

I wish I can do FIND and REPLACE for text in Layout. I have large set of dwgs which contains many identical annotations.

5 Likes

Outliner for LayOut!
The arrange- options are sooo poor, i constantly get lost in my Files with this stacking, groups and layers… Or am i Just Missing something?

1 Like