SketchUp 2018 Wish List

SketchUp is a 3D modeler, not 2D, so it is not likely to add those symbols. But it could make sense to add them to the standard set of “Scrapbooks” in LayOut - which is 2D. Of course, you can do so by creating your own Scrapbooks.

1 Like

I am not sure is it right subject, but rotation tool in SketchUp 2015 was more user-friendly. When i used “align to face” option with rotation tool, “protractor icon” moved together with cursor to rotation point. Like here

rotation

In Sketchup 2017 “protractor icon” stays on aligned face.

Use Arrow Down key instead of Shift key for the old behavior.

Have you tried the other options for alignment such as the cursor keys and aligning the tool to the center of rotation? No reference face needed for either of those options.
rot

What if I want to rotate something to non perpendicular faces? (I have to setup axes and then use arrows?)

rotation01

Not necessarily. You could set a guideline along the desired center of rotation. Or use the down arrow key like Eneroth indicated.

In nearly 15 years of using SketchUp I don’t think I’ve ever needed to move the model axes in order to get something done.

1 Like

I think this could be a part of the SU solid tools. First of all they could be dynamic, and allow hidden and nested components/groups to perform the boolean operations also.

Another really useful feature would be a setting for solids that they always substract intersecting solids (and an option that the solid doesn’t recieve these substractions). This would allow for example movable window/door components where you have nested a hidden solid that cuts the hole through the whole wall structure for the window without the sills and glazing being cut.

1 Like

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, I’ve been able to do this with hotkeys. I rely on x-ray and component isolate a lot so I turned those into hotkeys (X and O, respectively, since I never use the Orbit hotkey), and then use those extensively to toggle settings on and off.

If i edit a component, and have “hide rest of model” checked, then the rest of trh emodel dissappears. I dont want it to disspapear, i just want it to go into Xray mode or some other style (eg hidden line).

Instead of “hide rest of model”, if i simply adjust the fade slider then the model becomes faded -, not Xray.

If i use Xray mode, then the entire model becomes X ray but so does the component that I’m editing -but that’s the part I want to stay looking normal.

Is there another step to your process that I’m missing?

Solid tools might do it, unless the bit you want to isolate (eg two walls) are not connected as a solid.
If we had to make our walls solid for this function to work then I suppose it would still be an improvement on what we have now.

No, I misunderstood you I think; you were saying you want to be able to create a different visibility state inside a group/component than outside it? That would be useful; I also wish there were a visibility state where you could show only objects in the immediately containing group rather than all on/all off. (Or better yet if the level of “embedded groups on/off” was something the user could set.)

1 Like

Better DWG import support, again.

Like the levels in the generate report.
A slider which would regulate the visibility of the levels e.g. 2-3

1 Like

I second that - Specifically for us, the ability to export all (or some) Scenes to a single PDF booklet. I’m glad that the PDF has been added as an exportable format in recent years, but it seems to limited to single sheets.

Currently, my workaround is to fake a booklet using Doro PDF writer from the Print menu. The annoying bit is that I have to temporary thicken my profile line lineweights so that they’re noticeably thicker on the PDF.

Plan B is to export the scenes as .jpg’s via Export → Animation → Image Set (remembering to switch off scene transitions, of course), and then use an external PDF editor to convert/merge the images to PDF’s.

Perhaps this booklet request can appear in the PDF options menu, under Export → 2D Graphic, or as a file format option under Image Set? Maybe it’s own category under Export?

It would be nice if the SketchUp has a better menu to take advantage of several NVIDIA GTX 1080ti or better video cards and the use of RAM over 32gb because I see that the program only uses 1 GPU in a low way and the CPU is what most uses

My wishlist:

• Video game design toolbar
  • Animation tool
  • Texturable ground plane, background, and sky
  • Realtime rendering
    (Reflectivity slider in materials)
  • Texture painting, improved texture editing, & texture blending
  • UI Improvements
    (Modernize the art in all the icons, but keep them recognizable. For example, the iTunes logo changes over time, but stays recognizable. More intuitive 3D Warehouse & Extension Warehouse Icons.)
  • 3D people toolbar (choose clothes, pose, etc.)
  • 3D scanner that uses webcam
  • Unify all the tools into one multi-tool
    Maybe spacebar could open up a stylish toolbox, so you could change tools with ease
    or preferably make a tool that has the functionality of every single tool
  • Increase the drawing limits, so you can draw microscopic stuff and galaxies in the same drawing without clipping plane errors
  • Eliminate lag, so your model can be any size without any lag
  • Structural simulator where you simply apply materials to solid groups (so it knows the physical properties), then press play
  • Implement the minimalist Sculptris toolset into SketchUp by collaborating with their company
  • Brainwave reading headset that draws what you’re imagining
  • SpeakUp (AI that draws whatever you want)

Lol… Honestly though, I’m happy with SketchUp the way it is, but the world is limitless. Anything can always be improved upon, no matter how good it is.

1 Like

Great list!
Obviously an experienced Pro user.

When you say filters for parsing content, I think that’s brilliant.
The pro import/export options are SO limiting at present.

@agleek Why’d you delete your wish list? I thought it was excellent.

I think @agleek moved it to a 2019 wish list:

2 Likes

I moved it here: Sketchup 2019 Feature Requests - #145

1 Like