Sketchup 2018 Crashing Mac OS 10.13.6

This week update to MacOS 12 (10.13.6 )

Using Sketchup when my screen was compromised. Desktop image shifted sideways. screen split pixels horizontally across the screen, grey screen and restart.

Seems more stable using Parallel projection but still happened crashed and rebooted.

No bugsplat or image of screen to share.

any thoughts?

mac OS 10.13.6 (17G65)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

I am now running 10.13.6 on a Mac. No problems here.

I am using Sketchup pro and MacOs High Sierra version 10.13.6 and since a week I have problems . When I zoom in everything disappears . I tried several times and no better results!

I also run SU Pro 2018 on high Sierra without problems. Your profile says your Mac has only intel iris graphics, and that could possibly related. Exactly what model Mac is it?

Edit: another thought. Is what you are seeing that the model looks ok but if you do zoom extents it vanishes? If so you may be hitting a known bug with label texts. If you upload the model one of us may be able to fix it.

I have a macbook pro retina 13 inch early 2015
Processor 3,1 Ghz Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

You mentioned texts labels. And yes I added text in a separate layer.
MArita2.skp (839.9 KB)
may be you can have a look

@aartvanderschalk your file indeed had a Text object placed very far from the rest of the model, saying ā€œbedroom 3ā€. I deleted it in the attached and things now seem to be ok (other than that text being lost). Until the team fixes this bug, hopefully for 2019, the way to avoid it is to not put leader texts onto your model until you are finished editing it. The bug is triggered by editing a face that has a leader text pointing to it.

MArita2.skp (901.6 KB)

Edit: I found another defective text that hadnā€™t gone off to neptune, but had actually lost the values entirely for where it was supposed to be anchored and offset. Never saw that before, but it will also likely cause problems, so I fixed it too and replaced the link above.

@derens Is it possible to share the file here? That would be essential to see whether this is a problem with the file or with your computer.

Thank you so much! I will avoid using text labels in future. I am very happy to continue with my project. Thanks again!

So the issues of @aartvanderschalk were due to different problems then the original OP, and should be placed in (new) topic of itā€™s own (@SketchUp_Moderator ?)

I am still not certain on what OS @derens is upgraded to, for I thought the twelved OS was released this week and called ā€˜Mojaveā€™
In that case you should run into some compatibilty issues, for your system is outdated.

On re-reading, I agree that there is some confusion about the OPā€™s post. So far as I have seen, Apple doesnā€™t refer to anything as macOS 12 (though the latest release of iOS is 12): Mojave is macOS 10.14, 10.13.6 listed in the post is the last minor update to High Sierra, and both of them are in the OS X series.

@derens, did you have SU 2018 running ok on this MBP previously, and if so, what version of macOS were you running before the update? Or did you update SU as well?

10.13.6ā€™s stated requirements say it should be fine on a 2011 MacBook Pro, but 10.14 cuts off at 2012.

The sort of symptoms described sound like an issue with either OpenGL support on that model (unusual for Apple) or graphics hardware that is starting to fail. To check the latter Iā€™d suggest taking the computer to an Apple store for testing.

1 Like

Update on my original problem:

After further testing (read crashing) i am beginning to suspect the graphics card in my MBP is failing. Both the Internal and external cards are crashing intermittently. It seems to happen with more graphic intensive applications, but it has even crashed while watching Youtube. Bootup has become a tricky business requiring old DVD boot disks and ā€œoptionā€ key along with hard reboots and many automated reboots.

I have been able to use Sketchup on simple files as well as Layout.

1 Like

Only once have I been able to capture the crash report and pictures from one instances. Unfortunately not the one where I was using sketchup.

I am really grateful for your help and support. All the best.

1 Like