SketchUp 2017 Wish List

just wanted to be the first :wink:

3 Likes

And you got your wish!

1 Like

There was one about half a day ago on sketchucation.

at least here and additionally ~1 year before releaseā€¦

Still hoping one day to have natural scrolling on Mac like you get on Windows.

2 Likes

@Colin what do you mean with natural scrolling on Mac like you get on Windows? What is the difference?

Isnā€™t that a system preferences setting?

Fat Faces (or real solid geometry).

Anssi

3 Likes

On Windows you can move an object away from you by moving the mouse upwards, and you can move the whole scene away from you in the same way, by mouse wheeling upwards, it feels correct. On Mac mouse wheeling upwards brings the scene towards you. In other words, on Windows you move the scene and on Mac you move the camera. As the camera is not a visible object, it feels strange that the things you can see do the opposite of what you wanted them to do.

I could remove natural scrolling in system preferences, but then only SketchUp would feel right, the rest of OS X would feel wrong.

I wonder if the Preferences window in the Mac has Compatibility tab with the Invert Mouse Wheel Style checkbox, as the PC version has?

1 Like

Nope! There isnā€™t even a compatibility tab on mac! The BoundingBox only check is on ā€œDrawingā€.

1 Like

Hey Folks I wanted to mention that adding the scroll invert to the mac will happen for the next release. Its a decent sized accessibility ā€œgapā€ that we want to address.

A bit more info though - On the mac, SU completely ignores the Natural Scroll setting. Scroll Up is always zoom in, Scroll down is always zoom out. So this inverting issue primarily affects inverted scrolling windows users who have moved to the mac. Thereā€™s also a compatibility issue with our web viewer on 3D Warehouse when youā€™re viewing in a web browser. Here the pages have to respect natural scrolling so ability to invert SU will help sync the two.

Cheers!
~Bryce

2 Likes

Iā€™d really love a way to manage my installed extensions easier.

1. The preferences window should be resizable, as right now you need to scroll down a lot to find something.
  2. Iā€™d like to be able to sort the extensions alphabetically. Shouldnā€™t that be the default?
  3. Iā€™d like to be able to select multiple extensions with ctr & shift modifiers

[quote=ā€œSpeaker, post:13, topic:17670, full:trueā€]
Iā€™d really love a way to manage my installed extensions easier. 1. The preferences window should be resizable, as right now you need to scroll down a lot to find something.2. Iā€™d like to be able to sort the extensions alphabetically. Shouldnā€™t that be the default?3. Iā€™d like to be able to select multiple extensions with ctr & shift modifiers
[/quote] Thatā€™d be the SketchUcation Toolsetā€™s ā€˜Extensions Managerā€™ dialogā€¦

For some time its manager has allowed thisā€¦

Full resolution independence!

Additionally,

The problem of too many floating windows was recently solved in SU 2016 by using a tray on the side. A similar solution is overdue for the toolbars. I would suggest a ribbon style UI but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the best idea; some still hate it with a passion and we would risk alienating those users. It might also be confusing for people just starting out who would have to relearn the UI.

Iā€™m just not a fan of the current toolbar system; it has its advantages, but it starts to become really inefficient when you start installing plugins, each with their own toolbars. Iā€™m reminded of internet explorerā€¦ This is why I like the ribbon- everything is in one place: a bar at the top of the screen. Plugins could have their own tabs, just like in other programs. Again, Iā€™m not saying the ribbon is the best choice, but makes for a good of example of the kind of organization SU needs.

I think one of the reasons SU isnā€™t always taken seriously in comparison to other software is the UI. A better balance between simplicity (easily accessible buttons) and efficiency (minimal use of screen real-estate) would make SU much more approachable for some beginners and professionals.

Also, maybe itā€™s just me, but the Windows SU UI really needs to look more inline with newer versions of the OS. It feels very vanilla. I understand SUā€™s ease of use comes from using the native UI elements of the OS it runs on; right now Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s really the case for the latest versions of Windows. If this has changed, then SUā€™s UI needs itā€™s own identity.

Yes, Iā€™m aware of this option. I just think these are design flaws that should be fixed in the software itself.

A dimension tool for anglesā€¦

2 Likes

please add the external references feature, similar to the one in Autocad.
external referencing that will have very little effect on the model size.

1 Like

Negtive Solid that effect Positive Solid without Solid Tools.

The one thing that really gets to me is the re-installation of plugins / extensions. Surely if SketchUp is being installed / updated on a machine with a previous installation this process could be greatly expedited or somewhat facilitated.

I would love it if SketchUp would detect a previous installation and import the plugins / extensions from there, the process can be automatic or confirmation based. If some kind of verification routing can be run to check if the plugin / extension will fail under the newer version, that would help to identify problems, else a list of installed incompatible / outdated plugins / extensions with the option to keep / update / uninstall.

2 Likes