Skalp tutorials

Back in 2016, I signed up for Skalp and my subscription was automatically extended for SU 2017. However, I found I didn’t use it as much as I expected, but that was probably because I wasn’t able to devote enough time back then to learning how to use it properly.

I have just updated my subscription and it looks like the extension has become more powerful and easier to use since I last tried. But when I look at the online tutorials, they all seem to be ancient and I am fairly sure not always relevant to the current version. That makes learning hard. Does anyone know if I have just failed to stumble upon the up to date set?

1 Like

I wonder whether the lack of responses signifies something, such as the fact that not many here use Skalp, or don’t any longer.

I sent a similar request to @Guy directly but that too got no response, so maybe there aren’t any up to date tutorials?

If there are others here still using the extension, I am interested to know how. Take a typical section through a domestic building for example. If you model everything in 3D, Skalp works as intended providing each layer of the build-up is separately tagged (so that it can also be separately rendered by Skalp). But I expect a lot of people use the Make Slice from Section to create a 2D section cut so that they don’t have to model every detail in 3D. Then Skalp gets less useful I find. Or maybe others disagree?

Simon, for what do at 1:100 and 1:50 I rely on the SketchUp native section abilities. I did use SectionCutFace before SketchUp introduced section fill.

For 1:20, 1:10 and 1:5 I draw out the detail in Layout using the SketchUp viewport as a guide.

I tried to use Skalp a long time ago but it seemed too difficult. That or I wasn’t bothered to put in the time to learn how to use it. Maybe it’s easier?

I think my experience is very much like yours. I too found it too hard to master originally. I think it is a bit easier and also more powerful now. But as you and I have pointed out, detailed sections are generally done in 2D. I suspect that the native ability to section fill probably did put a nail or two in the Skalp coffin. It’s a bit of a blunt instrument though. It would be nice if SU could build in the added functionality that Skalp offers.

I do exactly as you do apart from using Slice from Section rather than LO for the 2D work.

1 Like