Show us YOUR Quick Win

‘We do not own ideas, but we borrow them from our communities…’

3 Likes

Getting that as a tattoo…

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, we were discussing the Do’h book from SketchUcation, telling each other which Do’h-tip we hadn’t thought of ourselves. So there goes another list of ppl we have to thank for this quick win. :wink:
The D'oh Book | SketchUcation [free e-book, was handed out in paper version during that basecamp] Which goes back to the do’h thread overthere… The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread) • sketchUcation • 1 [longread: 25 pages of do’h moments]

1 Like

you can change the , with . by going here! after made this change will work on every program in use on the computer

hope is helpfull for you!

Thanks. Yes I know exactly how to change, but I don’t want… :wink:

Quick win for Stopping Solid Tools from Breaking your components into groups.

You already have your components made.

1. Make your cutting tool, and place in group and control + Copy
  2. enter the component you want to edit
  3. triple click to select everything in the component, right click make group
    4.while still inside your component past and position your cutting tool.
    5 both objects are now in the same component and you can perform the solid tools action (Sub this from that)
  4. exploded the newly created group that is inside your original component and all the components are still linked.

Thanks Brian

1 Like

Or use an extension that honors SketchUp’s original design and keeps components as components.

7 Likes

This reminded me of a very basic but handy quick win that saved me many times when starting out and continues to save me once in a while. I think it’s common, especially when first learning to work with components to accidentally edit all of them when intending to edit a unique one. There have been a few great QWs already posted on how to avoid this, but if it does happen it can be very disheartening realizing that you have to do all that work “over again”. If the mistake is caught before too much more modeling has taken place, this trick can be a quick way to fix the damage and not lose work done.

After editing one instance of a component that was intended to be unique:

Select one instance of component
Copy component to clipboard
use Undo to reverse all editing steps until component is back to original
use Paste command to place clipboard
SketchUp places the edited version retaining the objects designation as a component, makes it a new unique component, and retains the original name with a number appended

12 Likes

This is a great one that I have also fallen back on over the years

2 Likes

Assigning ‘Rotate 90’ by Daiku to a shortcut key so that group/component rotate around Z is really quick.

Not a built in thing but a main-stayer of my workflow.
I think this should be a feature of the stand alone program any ways… But this point is for another thread

3 Likes

This model intriges me. Are you using it to show some status of different parcels over time?
I have here a post-it laying around for ages regarding the creation of an extension that would link different entity properties (such as position, rotation, scale, material, hidden or not, …) to values coming from different datasources, such as .csv or .xlsx files, but also google sheets for example). It could be usefull to automate the colors in your model. What do you think?

I used it for ‘bestemmingsplan’ purposes. For instance, we have areas that are meant for ‘living, resell, horeca(:slight_smile: ‘ etc.

Or display which houses would be impacted by environment accidents (over 50% is below sealevel)
Etc.
Automation could be interesting for governments.
Data is adsorbed more easily when visualised.

Years ago I did something for a Dutch company that leases houses, to track and visualize status of houses that were available for rent, in option and rented. That data was kept in a database and I created a custom connector for that particular database and purpose. But then, I believed a more generic approach could be beneficial for so many purposes. I called it Dynamic Data Injector, because I envisaged it as a tool that would map data coming from anywhere and automatically update the value of a Dynamic Component.

Never finished it though. Never even started a UI, but look what we have here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you care to share your favorite one?

I’m going to take a stab and answer for Christina. I’m going to say Eneroth3 Solid Tools which is available in the 3D Warehouse. I like it too. There’s also BoolTools2 which, like Eneroth3 Solid Tools, doesn’t break components.

Much better to use those than go through the gymnastics required with the native Solid Tools.

7 Likes

Thank you Dave!!
I’ll check those out

1 Like

Good guess.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Mike, this does not work for me. I have about 30 scenes and 15 layers, and each scene has a different combination of visible layers. Updating all scenes except the elephant scene gives all those scenes the same layers as the elephant scene (except for the elephant layer). Oops! There went my presentation.

(This is a reply to your March 2019 post.)

This process works for me as @MikeWayzovski describes. If you are needing to add tags (layers) to a file without adding it to all the existing scenes you might explore using Auto Invisible Layer extension, which can add new tags that are set to invisible in all existing scenes by default.

Kidnap a SketchUp Pro and force them to do your models for you!