Show us YOUR Quick Win

You’re right ! I just edited my post… Thank you !

1 Like

Say you need some model as reference, that you can get acces to in just one click, each time you need to look at it.

• create layer: location terrain (this will trigger the ‘Toggle Terrain’ button)
  • assign your reference model (single grouped or as as multiple groups or whatever) to this layer.

Now your reference model is located in a bubble, just one click (or shortcut key) away.*
You can assign a shortcut key to the ‘Toggle Terrain’ button for easier acces.
The switch to visibility is independent of camera, layer set, hidden geometry and whatever style is currently available.

Modeling space seems empty:

After using shortcut [Shift] [`] I get to see my reference (could be any model you applied):

11 Likes

Not sure how fundamental this one is…

You want to radius the corners of a shape to a specified radius. Draw a tangent Arc of any size on one corner. Select it and use Entity info to apply your desired radius. Then Select the Arc tool again and “double click” the remaining corners to apply the same radius…

19 Likes
  1. To simplify a complex texture pattern select the textured faces and use Combine Texture. That will create a unique texture, that can be used on other faces and will reduce the amount of lines. Very useful for creating tile textures.

1. Create a separate Dialog Tray for Entity Info and Outliner. Turn on Auto Hide only for this Tray. This really helps to free up space in the Default Tray and allows for easy editing of objects from the Outliner, as you can expand it more and change the Group or Component attributes in Entity Info
    I think this one could work very well for a Quick Tip video, as touches upon multiple important topics about object management in SketchUp. I briefly show this in this video: SketchUp Pamati II dialoga logi - YouTube
    Outliner

Hooray!

8 Likes

@IanT , just a tiny adjustment to your tip, using the Magenta inference you can specify the Arc Radius while drawing it. Click at the Magenta point then move back along the edge to Magenta again then type your radius and hit enter.
ArcRadius

15 Likes

Yes, from my experience, it’s a very hard one for beginners…

1 Like

…and sages alike. I forgot to mention I have @Cotty to thank for teaching me that.

4 Likes

this sounds crazy, selecting with eraser :smiley:

This one comes in handy for me sometimes. When I’ve created a form that doesn’t have a corner to use for Follow-Me, find a straight section to draw your profile on, and hide surfaces as needed to draw and then create the Follow-me results.

9 Likes

“Scale to Unit” is just a term used to define the type of scaling done with the default scale tool. After selecting the object, choose the Scale tool and scale the object in any direction from any control point. After scaling and before selecting any other tool, type the desired dimensions and press enter. How many values/dimensions you type depends on what Scale control point you grabbed.

• If it scales in all three dimensions, you’ll need 3 values: 1’,2’,‘3’
  • If it scales in two dimensions, you’ll need 2 values: 1’,2’
  • If it scales in only one direction, you guessed it, you only need 1 value: 1’

Note: you must include unit types when entering dimensions (e.g. ’ for feet, " for inches, m for meters, cm for centimeters, and so on).

Where did you get that toolbar? I haven’t seen anything or any option like it in SketchUp Make, or in Pro 2019 yet (1 month newb here).

It’s a custom toolbar Box made. This is an option available on Windows but not Mac.

DOH!!! Well why not on Mac?!?!

Oh well - thanks for the info; I’ll quit looking for it…

It just isn’t.

So it’s another quick win win?!

4 Likes

Heh…it’s a quick win to use Windows :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Paul
Can you take us through this one step by step please? looks awesome but I can’t follow how it works.

After he move tool makes the copy, he then types /15 Enter. You can see that in the measurements field. That then puts 14 copies of the square, evenly spread out between the two outer squares.

hello Ed,

Colin pretty much explained it but I’ll write it down step by step,

• draw a rectangle
  • draw the shape that you want to repeat
  • move it holding control key (on windows) to the other side of the square along red or green axis, click to validate and then type “/” and the number of copies you want
  • select the line that was created and repeat this process along the other axis
  • select all and deselect what you want to keep by double clicking on it holing shift, or control + shift
  • hit suppr key

there you go !

thanks Paul
thats awesome
Ed