Show us YOUR Quick Win

It’s been mentioned already, but I’ll add an extra vote for covering the Paste in Place command.

For a Quick Win Submission… I’d toss in the idea of Remote Component Editing.

Where you’d bring in an extra copy of a component, place it in an open area… and proceed to edit from there… redefine it’s definition… so that the actual component buried away in the model inherits all of the changes without having to be moved out of position.

with credit going to: Quick Win (…Tips from the Forum)

7 Likes

Very good. Another reason for my component-only modeling. :wink:

Is this the Web Forum definition of Insanity,
Posting a second gif doing exactly the same thing and expecting a different result! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think that’s it. :smiley:

1 Like

I do that all the time.

1 Like

Temporarily delete something to select what is behind, undo the deletion and then e.g. delete that selection.

6 Likes

Paint groups/components from the outside and and use axes for material positioning. Generally red axis represents length, green width and blue height. If the texture is horizontal in the material panel it will follow red axis, otherwise it will perpendicular to it.

3 Likes

Make edges paint-able by setting the style option, Color By Material.

3 Likes

Gum select:

use Eraser tool to select a number of entities, while holding ,LMB =Left Mouse button
Do not let go of the LMB
Then press SPACE to do whatever with the selection.

11 Likes

Let go of the [Shift] key first before thinking of pressing the [Space] bar. Otherwise vroahhhm… your selection is “gone” (hidden).

1 Like

I call this method ‘Quick Lost’ :rofl:

edit: It should be the LMB Left Mouse Button…

1 Like

I think this one kind of sits alongside of @Box previous mention about Cardinal Points… if not directly related… it’s a nice bonus tip that also illustrates the benefits of proper line segment orientation.

This is about Getting TRUE 90° Turns Out of the Follow Me Tool

The Key is to rotate the Follow Me Path into position where the Midpoints of a path segments are sitting perpendicular to the axes, instead of the end points.

with credit going to: Box (unless he’d rather not have it… I know I got this tip from him),
otherwise,… Quick Win (…Tips from the Forum)

7 Likes

I need no credit @JimD I learnt it from someone else way back in the mists of time. Most things were already known long before I started using SU.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Box, for the time being I still know where I learned this tip from and how it happened… so I have to credit accordingly.

But I do suspect that most of the quick win ideas are indeed old well worn forum tips—which is why I like to credit the forum. Plus it’s a little extra promotion for this place.

2 Likes

That’s a good technique, Jim. I’ve used it for donkeys years and I’m sure I learned it from someone.

3 Likes

This thread is so confusing…:smiley:

1 Like

mine would be quickly creating a grid… or any repetitive drilling on a plane

using the divide function then select all and double click holding shift on what you want to keep.

I use it a lot !

8 Likes

true, but I also wanted to show the select all / double click tip, as it may come in handy with imported CAD

2 Likes

I’ve used that technique myself in the past but wouldn’t recommend it anymore. A segmented circle is supposed to be represented by its vertices, not midpoints as would be the case here. To get a model you can measure from, or somewhat easily redraw at another resolution, you want the the vertices to be at the correct radius. To achieve this you can extrude along the full circle and then erase what you don’t need.

Another option would be for SketchUp to simply properly support curve offsets and extrusions, by differentiating sharp and smooth “corners”. A corner is considered smooth if at least one of its segments is a curve. For smooth corners the offset distance is measured along the bisector, from vertex to vertex. For sharp corners the offset is measured along the segment, and the offset distance at the vertex scales according to the cosine of half the angle (or something like that), which is the current behavior.

As of now SketchUp simply doesn’t support offsets and extrusions of curves, but treat them as a series of straight edges, with the exception of some special handling for extruding along a full circle.

Current behavior:

Desired behavior:
2019-03-11_19h12_04

2 Likes

Just to avoid confusion on this excellent tip Paul, you left out that you held down shift when you double clicked in your directions.

Triple click (select all) Shift Double Click to Deselect the single face and all its edges.

Doing it without the Shift key will deselect the faces of the ‘holes’ but delete everything because you’ve selected the edges of those ‘holes’.

1 Like