Show me your peripherals!

I’ve been intending to contribute to this thread for a while now, but held off because I’ve been setting up a 2nd home office - and my first is being slowly deconstructed!

Here’s my 2nd home office setup - still a work in progress!

This is the office setup in the “Broffice” of a crappy double wide mobile home on the site of my future home. Now that I have Starlink, I’m starting to work from here as well as my first home office.

It’s a work in progress - I’ve got things functioning, but not yet finished tasks such as:

• Neatening Up/Hiding cables - I haven’t even done anything with the cables that are part of my sit/stand desk!
  • Added anything to deal with the occasional bits of actual paper I occasionally have to handle.
  • Eliminated the last cable that crosses the desk (I REALLY like wireless peripherals) - which is the USB keyboard. I’m VERY particular in my keyboards. I like full size keys - NOT “chicklet” style! I also have a strong preference for “wave” style keyboards (like the one in the picture.) While the Logitech wireless ergonometric keyboard is nice (and what I use at my FIRST home office), it has “chicklet” keys - so I’m trying a new (for me) company: Perrix. Amazon expects to deliver their “Periboard 612” model on Wednesday or Thursday.

Other things of note:

• The actual computer is attached to the wall at the top/left of the picture, with a powered USB hub also wall mounted behind it. Below it is the power supply for the computer which I HAD to mount on the wall (with sticky tape velcro) because the wire between it and the computer doesn’t reach the floor! I can hear some of you asking why I mounted the computer so high: I have to keep it clear of the desk when it moves from “sit” to “stand” and putting it BELOW the “no go” zone would mean I have to get down on my hands and knees when I need to do anything with it other then press to power button!
  • I actually rarely use my 3DConnextion Wireless Pro thingy. For the picture, I put it where I will use it should I ever have a SketchUp project that I work on often enough to retrain myself with the necessary muscle memory to use it well! I loved it when I was on a sabbatical and doing a LOT of stuff in SU, but that’s not the case right now. For now, it actually resides on the keyboard drawer (which I don’t use for a keyboard) - and it’s turned OFF.
  • The white stand at the left/front of the desk is a wireless charging stand for my personal smart phone. I couldn’t SHOW the phone as I had to use it to take the picture!
  • The phone ON the desk under the R hand monitor is a VOIP phone connected through the cloud to my company’s phone system. Or, perhaps I should say “will be connected” as the Wifi doesn’t connect well - and I don’t (yet) have a wired connection to the Starlink base - although one is planned!
  • The screen cover on the office phone was made by my sister at my request. It’s literally the first personal/quirky thing in my BRoffice! After just 1 night sleeping in this room, I knew I needed SOMETHING as the screen is BRIGHT - and I had a hard time sleeping due to the brightness!
  • NOT shown: a small combination UPS/Surge suppressor that powers everything. It’s on the floor between the left leg of the desk and the wall.
  • Two more things not shown - because they’re still at my FIRST home office: 1) A neat little scanner for which I’ve built a wall mount! It’s for dealing with those occasional bits of paper I mentioned earlier - I scan them and store them digitally, then use the paper to start fires - unless it’s something truly official - like the Pink Slip for my car! and 2) My printer. Not sure yet where it’s going to go, but it’s used so rarely these days that it will probably end up far from what I’ve pictured!

When all is done, I’ll only have 2 things on the desk that have ANY cables - and they’re at the edges where I won’t have to SEE the cables:

• Office Phone - will have a wired Ethernet with POE (Power over Ethernet) coming off the back.
  • Smart Phone wireless charge stand.

I have two things that will occasionally need cables for charging: My headset (shown on it’s hook on the wall) and my trackball. OK - given how little I use it - I’ll also have a rare need to plug in the 3DConnection Wireless Space Mouse!

Just reread what I posted and though I’d explain “Broffice”. No. It’s NOT a typo! It’s my contraction of “Bedroom/Office”.

1 Like