Shared edges prevent 3D printing

perfusion.skp (240.9 KB)

I am trying to get the attached model to print on Shapeways or similar. I am following the suggestions posted here: https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/sketchup_3d_printing_export_to_stl_tutorial
but I keep getting shared edges in the last round. I’ve tried many variations but seem to be incapable to reduce the number of surfaces these edges are shared with and retain the surface of the bottom in the well and the top of the well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am using Sketchup Make 2017 on a Win10 64x
Felix

Your problem is relatively simple to fix: this is a solid version.

perfusion[solid].skp (162.4 KB)
It’s best to form a group or component and see if it reports as a ‘solid’ in Entity Info…
Your original SKP has many reversed faces, internal partition faces [so some edges support more that two faces and thereby compromise its 'solidity] and also non-fatal, but unnecessary, guidelines.

Thomthom’s SolidInspector³ reveals the issues;

My SolidSolver fixed the issues in a few seconds…

1 Like

thank you so much TIG! I had boxed myself into a corner here from where I could not see out anymore. Your ideas and solutions make a lot of sense and in hind-sight I think I should have seen it. But it would have taken me a lot longer. I thank you for your dedication on helping struggling Sketchup users!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.