Shapes extension install problem in SU 2014

I get the following error message when loading SU 2014 after installing the plugin. Is this a problem related to a non-ASCII user name? Or what else may be the the problem? Grateful for any tips!

Error Loading File C:/Users/Torbjörn/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_shapes/shapes.rb
Error: cannot load such file -- C:/Users/Torbjörn/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_shapes/parametric.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
C:/Program Files (x86)/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
C:/Users/Torbjörn/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_shapes/shapes.rb:7:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Program Files (x86)/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `require'
C:/Program Files (x86)/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `load'
C:/Users/Torbjörn/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_shapes.rb:25:in `register_extension'
C:/Users/Torbjörn/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_shapes.rb:25:in `<module:Shapes>'
C:/Users/Torbjörn/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_shapes.rb:13:in `<module:CommunityExtensions>'
C:/Users/Torbjörn/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_shapes.rb:12:in `<top (required)>'
1 Like

Turns out it was an ASCII problem. As this plugin is made by the SU Team, I thought this might already have been corrected. I have the updated version of SU 2014.

1 Like

You have an accented Windows user name:
‘Torbjörn’

This is well known to cause issues on PCs using the older version of Ruby [pre v2014].
It’s File operations incorrectly failing to find files on paths containing accented characters etc…

However Ruby2 [>=v2014] should cope with this with its improved text-encoding…
Although _FILE_ etc can still misbehave, and needs forcing to UTF-8 encoding in some circumstances.

The issue won’t be limited to just this one file-set.

Accented user-names are still ill-advised, and best avoided…

1 Like

Yes, I’ve gathered as much. :slight_smile: I have now created a new user profile on my computer and am using this for SU work from now on. I copied the Application Data from the old profile and use shared folders to access its files. Took some googling to find out how to do it.
Thank you for your answer!
/T

1 Like