Shape bender distortion

By the way, you only need to bend half and then mirror it.
Here is my quick version with the couple of holes repaired then mirrored to make a solid component.
I used the Dave Method too.

1 Like

Box beat me to it. Had to walk the dog. I did it a different way without using Shape Bender or Radial Bend. Many ways to do it, I guess.

Mirror it? The 1st bend went without a hitch, the 2nd not so much…
Where’s the “mirror” button?

I cut it in half and deleted the unbent half, then copied the bent half and used scale -1 to mirror it, then paste in place to put the original back.

Just for yucks, how’d you pull this off?

make it a group or component, make a copy, then right click and flip along red axis (in that case). You also have a mirror extension

But they’re not symmetrical, due to the diamond-head “tiling”.
That’s why you have that strange ridge down the center…
Mirror extension?

True, forgot about the bumps.

Mirror extension?
I know how to flip something around, but that doesn’t apply here, as both halves are asymmetrical.

Unfortunately due to the asymmetry you can’t mirror, flip or scale -1.
You’ll need to bend both sides, or adjust your bumps.

I drew the shape as a billet and then deleted the interior and used Joint Push/Pull to make the thickness of the plate. I went with a texture instead of your drawn bumps. I just used a OEM texture but you could do better. Instead of over 3 Mbs, mine saves out at 228 Kb.
Screenshot%20-%203_23_2018%20%2C%208_44_26%20AM

Turns out the trickiest part was getting the tip back on seamlessly…
It couldn’t be in a separate group, even within the one being bent, during the operation. The geometry bounces around like a bucking bronco upon resolution, to the point where it’s nearly impossible to align it back together properly when the time comes. The solution is to have it go along for the ride, grouping it to move it around and ungrouping while Radial Bending works its magic.
Lots of repair work to do, but the damage is tiny. I’ve patched a couple of blotches up to make sure it was feasible, which it is. The finished model should be up in a bit, the rest of it being routine work.
Thanks again guys.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.