Shape Bender / Copy Path help needed

I’ve got to the point where I have tried a load of things and, if in an office full of peers, would turn to someone and say “can you have a go at this”

I’m trying to get this shape to have tank tracks around it and am failing miserably; so I turn to my online peers…
tracks.skp (337.3 KB)

You should go to the Extension Warehouse, read the instructions and watch the author’s video on using Shape Bender. It takes the right setup to use Shape Bender. First, your straight track tread needs to be a component, not a group. Second, the component needs to be oriented correctly. In this case standing up on edge. The component axes need to be parallel to the default world axes when the component is in this position. Third, the straight line required by Shape Bender needs to be located correctly. In this case I used the inside perimeter of your curve so the straight line is located immediately under the inside edge of the track. Fourth, the track loop needs a gap so there’s a start and an end. I filled in the gap after running Shape Bender. It would be best if you make the straight tread component and the straight line the same length as the curve. Then you have a better idea of how things are going to get spaced. I did not make any adjustments and just centered the tread over the gap when I was filling it in.

Thanks Dave… it’s good to have you as a colleague :slight_smile:

I think I should come back to these things after a while and a cup of tea rather than bashing my head against them!

1 Like

Third, the straight line required by Shape Bender needs to be located correctly. In this case I used the inside perimeter of your curve so the straight line is located immediately under the inside edge of the track.

This is the key… not only that, but it needs to be on the same plane as the track outline. That was driving me NUTS!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.