Set default opacity for paint bucket on a Mac

sketchup
color
opacity

Okay sure. I just commented that what I’m doing would still be waaaay easier if you could modify attributes of automatically created faces as you go. It seems like a reasonable comment.

Sorry, so how do I easily select just faces for my group or component? When I select a large area, it includes all the edges. And when there are edges included, I don’t get an option to change the colors of the faces. If I have to go and manually deselect each edge it defeats the purpose.

Many people come from other software and expect things to happen a certain way, and they end up try to put a square peg in a round hole rather than spending the time to learn how to make a round peg.
So as I mentioned above this gif shows you how you can do what you want by using groups.
I create a group to start and give it the appropriate transparent material, now everything I draw within the context of that group will have that material automatically applied to it. It has the added benefit of stopping other geometry from sticking to it and making it easier to select and manipulate and hide etc etc
This then becomes the “default” for that group and still allows to the ability to go back to monochrome mode.
GroupDefault

Don’t change the colour via entity info, use the Materials dialog.

Sorry, not trying to troll, I hope you can understand my dropping a comment about how it would be easier to do what I want if the program did such-and-such. After all I’m spending hours trying to learn this method and there’s a chance I will never even use this program again once my free trial expires. It depends on how well it meets my purposes.

I think an underlying issue is that I’m interested in making things where I know exactly what I want before I even start. I think the program is more tailored to being creative as you go, messing around with stuff, changing things later, etc…

I see what you mean about being able to change color in a group. It is still a bit awkward though because my sets of faces of different colors sort of wind around each other, and the program wants to put a big box around each group. In my case those boxes intersect awkwardly and other weird stuff happens. I was hoping the Make Component would be an alternative but it seems like that’s a whole other issue.

If I haven’t worn out your patience yet, I have a more specific question. I’m trying to do as you suggested using groups. But I am unable to designate a front and back color when I color the faces in my group. This is problematic because the back faces are interior and I can’t get at them with a paint bucket without a lot of trouble. Would you know the best way to do that?

Another strange thing is that when I go to Windows >> Materials, it never has a checkbox, and if I click it, it toggles my Color window. I never see any window called Materials.

While I’m at it, nobody ever mentioned what the opacity settings do in the Styes window. I can set opacity for front/back faces in the Styles window, they are saved, and they are reflected in the little squares that show what color has been set. But I see no effect of them on my figure no matter what. What do they do?

On mac the window is labeled “colors” because of the lazy way it was built atop the system color chooser. It’s been that way forever (along with other peculiarities).

Perhaps is Color by Layer what you are looking for :

Save the file as template

No, thanks for the suggestion, but for what I’m doing it would just be great if Sketchup did exactly what I described and, after extended discussion, the verdict is that it doesn’t.

To clarify, what I want would be something that automatically sets the colors and opacity in the Entity Settings, upon creation of each new face. And I’d want to be able to choose those colors and opacities as I go. I bet it is possible to make a plugin that does this, but that’s just too much overhead for what I’m using it for.

My fingers are tired from scrolling from the top of this topic, and so I may have missed something important. But for what it’s worth…

You can’t change the opacity of a standard material, but you can duplicate it, and then set your own opacity in your version of the material.

In Styles you can absolutely choose your custom material, along with its opacity.

New things you make don’t honor that opacity. They should.

Is it worth a post over here?: https://forums.sketchup.com/c/sketchup/feature-requests

I appreciate your still looking for a solution to this but I’m pretty much done with what I need to do, just did it the long tedious way. To me my question was very very simple but I’m just coming from a different perspective from what Sketchup was designed for, no worries.

Thanks for the response. I expect you got past that past of the topic 5 yards of scrolling ago! That doesn’t mean that the problem shouldn’t be fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.