Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow

After 2 months not using SU I downloaded the latest version today to discover the select tool was taking many seconds (5-10) and making SU unusable.
Found this thread after checking latest SU has no problem with normal fast select on my iMac … even though it is MACOS latest version.
So … it smelt like a windows problem!
I have Samsung ultrabook 900X4C 15 inch with INTEL HD 4000 graphics… bought in June 2013.
Unwinding Win10 updates was not what I wanted to do!

So I Used win10 device manager to check if any updates were available for INTEL HD 4000 driver… lo and behold there was!
So I let the device driver update, restarted the PC and SU and the problem vanished … instant select tool functioning…
So my diagnosis is that, in my case, the old graphics driver needed to be updated with no changes to the Win 10 automatic updates.

Watching others trying to evade Win10 updates seems to me doomed to fail as Microsoft will always prevail. I assume Trimble engineers would be able to be heard if there was a valid threat to SU working.
Hope this helps someone else.

I solved this problem by following MtMonk’s suggestion and reinstalling my graphics driver (Intel HD 4000), even though my device manager said I have the latest updates. There was no need to uninstall any Windows Updates.

Hopes this helps other frustrated sketchers!

I’m a complete beginner with Sketchup and it seems it simply won’t work because I cannot select a component by triple clicking it to copy it etc. It seems this problem has been going for some time and I’m hoping there is a simple fix as I am not a computer expert. I have checked my Intel driver is up to date and I do use windows 10 and ‘sketchup make 17’ I want a simple to use drawing program and so far have spent two hours searching forums to find out how to fix a problem rather than sort out how to use the program. Anyone have a simple solution they could suggest in simple English?! Thanks…

You don’t select components by triple clicking them. You select by clicking once.

The creators update alone seemed to do the trick… For now. I’ll reinstall
everything is this problem returns. Thank you all for the input!

Thanks - yes I tried that too and it still does nothing… I triple clicked an object to make it an entity, but I can’t now select that entity to copy it. Just one of the components of it. ie a face…

Starting at the beginning, with no Group or Component open for edit

• Click once on a Group or Component to select it, for example to move or copy it
  • Double-click a Group or Component to open it for edit.
  • Triple-click on a Group or Component to open it and select all the contents. You can accomplish the same by double-click followed by ctrl-A (cmd-A on Mac).

@crabbes, when you get the dialog box with the component options when initially making a component, check to be sure the option to replace the selection with a component has a checkmark by it.

Interesting thing about my success with installing the latest HD 4000 driver. It worked for a while and then spontaneously failed, even with no indicated updates to Windows. I tinkered for a while, using and older version of Sketchup without success and finally downloaded an older HD 4000 driver and everything is working again. I have now blocked any updates to the graphics driver. I’ll see what happens as time goes by…

Update 4-19-2017: Even though I had tried to block updates on the HD 4000 driver, Microsoft managed to do two updates to the driver on 4-19-2017. Interestingly, Sketchup Select tool is still working properly. The currently installed version of the driver (as reported by Windows device manager) is 10.18.10.4358, dated 12/21/2015. I’ll post if anything new happens.

Update 4-23-2017: Microsoft installed update: Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513) last night and Sketchup Select tool is still working OK.

Thanks for that - I begin to see how this works. The problem is I click on something and it takes around 20 seconds before anything happens… So I’m not sure I have done the right thing and click something else… very annoying.

Yes thanks - that made the grouping work properly albeit very very slowly…

Thanks - I am getting this working now - it’s just so slow…

I’m having a horrible time with sketch “not responding”. it takes forever to load my sketchup file and then anytime I do anything (move, section cuts,etc) I again get “not responding” and have to close the entire program, find the backup file that was saved, and start the process all over again.

I am running on windows 10. I also confirmed my graphics card is up to date.

as mentioned on this thread, I deleted a windows update and it WAS running fine. but within a day I’m back to “not responding issue”.

here is a screenshot of the updates that are still on my computer.

should any of these be deleted?

this is my final project for school and i’m at a complete standstill with this not responding issue.

Hello
I have Sketchup 2015, 2016 and 2017 on my computer (Windows 10)
Everything work fines a fews week ago …
Yesterday, I want use Sketchup 2017 to create a new model
Simple clic on “the man” in the middle of initial model is very slow (mays bien 5 seconds …)
the same fact with Sketchup 2015 or 2016 !
I forced update my computer with Windows 10 Create Update >> the problem is always here
I update the driver of HD 4000 (with a new version of driver downloaded from Intel Web Site)

Sketchup work fine !!! YES … I go to sleep happy !!!
Today, I want try again >> The Slow selection Tools appear again grrrrrrr
I update another time HD4000 driver with the same downloaded >> not work
I reboot >> not work

Strange …

I have only One update
Mise à jour de sécurité pour Internet Explorer Flash Player pour Windows 10 Version 1703 pour ordinateurs à processeur x64 (KB4018483)

may be this fact can help Trimble to find a solution or alert Microsoft … something work wrong and I can not understand why simple selection is slow and the relation with graphic card driver …

a complexe model is correctly display on my computer with good speed !!! I just can not select something !!! very strange …

I have Widows 10, update 1703 and ever since getting that, selecting something is VERY slow (about 45 seconds) even on a model with only one cube drawn. I just renewed my Sketchup maintenance agreement and initially thought it had something to do with that, but based on comments above, it may be a Windows 10 update problem. I hope it is solved soon, as I have drawings to complete!

I think there are a lot of users who hope that Microsoft will get things fixed ASAP.

Apologies for coming back on this… I cannot get the basic select function to work properly. Starting with a new file I create a rectangle … fine… I pull it to create a column … fine and now I triple click this column to create a component that I can name and describe … and nothing happens!
If I go Ctrl A then the column is all outlined in blue (as I think it should be) and I can create a component etc. but that’s fine for the first component but not for the second or third or fourth… I do have the replace selection with component checked. Sometimes after about 10 seconds or so one face might be highlighted in blue.
I have tried to select each face of the column separately as a work-around but no luck.
I am a beginner but I have watched several tutorials and this function seems so simple. Am I doing something wrong or should I just go back to graph paper? Hoping someone can help…

I tried reverting from Windows 10 build 1703 to build 1607, but select is still running slowly (even on a file with only one cube in it, so not sure it is a Windows upgrade problem. The only other thing I have done recently was to renew my maintenance agreement for Sketchup.

Ok, update on this. I tried a cold reboot, and now Sketchup is back to it’s speedy self.
So, in summary here is what I did to fix the problem of Select slowing to a crawl:

1. Revert from Windows 10 Build 1703 to Build 1607 via the Window Recovery menu
  2. COLD boot the computer. (I tried a warm boot, but it didn’t work)

I have the same Sansung NP900X4C note, and by the time I install the old version Sketchup works perfectly, but restarting the problem occurs again. I am using Windows Creaters to format the machine with this system, as I had this problem in several 3D software like SolidWorks, Rhino3D and they all worked normally a month ago, it was probably some update of Windows because the driver version was the same as I use it now.