Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow

Thanks RLGL, latest BIOS was installed last year and display driver was removed with removal tool and reinstalled from Acer’s website a number of times before I noticed that just restarting the laptop solves the problem. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 restarts and sometimes it just works fine from a cold boot. Would be nice to know why.

The next time it happens to you, simply restart the computer and see if it fixes itself. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 reboots but it eventually solves the slow selection tool problem with only rebooting…

for disabling the automatic updates of manufacturer drivers in Windows 10 without using external tools do:

• open the “Control Panel”
• open category “System and Security”
• open section “System”
• select option “Advanced System Settings”
• select the tab “Hardware”
• select the button “Device Installation Settings”
• select the option “No (your device might not work as expected)”

and you’re done.

1 Like

Oh, @SketchUp3D_de this makes me feel a bit better about purchasing a new Win10 computer later this month.

O&O ShutUp10 is your friend :wink:

I just installed SU Make 2017, and I totally have this problem. Didn’t have it with SU Make 2015. I also found a little workaround that might help some people if they don’t have the time to reboot several times or restore their system to a prior state.

If I select something on screen, it can take 2-3 seconds before SU responds. But if I right-click on it, the response is immediate - the context menu appears AND the object is selected! So if I hit Esc, the menu goes away, and the object is still selected. A bit of a hassle, but much faster than waiting on a regular select. Also, you can open a group / component for editing from the context menu, rather than double-clicking on it (and waiting).

Unfortunately, using the measuring tape tool is still quite difficult while this problem goes unresolved.

Given my experience, above, it doesn’t make sense to me to blame this totally on a Windows update or a graphics driver. My current graphics driver and Windows state can handle the right-click selection just fine, and I’m sure the graphics driver & Windows don’t know at draw time which kind of click initiated the redraw…

Just sayin’…

This worked. Awesome!! Thanks. I was going slowly crazy trying to get work done…!

1 Like

It works for me. My computer is win10 and Intel HD Graphics 4000
but after hours, it goes back lag… ><

1 Like

TRY THIS

First off that survey is closed and secondly it only helps those with SU2018. Those of us who use this for personal purposes, don’t want to work through a browser and don’t want to spend $700 still have no fix other than to restart the computer to resolve this issue. Apparently this is not an issue anyone can or wants to resolve for us.

The problem was identified a long time ago as being due to inadequacies in Intel graphics drivers and integrated graphics adapters. You could solve the problem by using adequate graphics cards. Unfortunately Trimble has no control over what graphics adapter you are using in your computer or what the Intel and Windows driver software developers do.

It doesn’t matter how much they might want to help. It’s not within their control to do so.

Unfortunately, I cannot change the integrated graphics card in my laptop. I have seen the excuse for the problem being an inadequate graphics adapter for over a year now. But my question (that’s not being answered for over a year now) is WHY restarting the computer solves the slow selection tool problem? I’m sure that’s in their control. That’s the issue I want resolved. But no one is addressing THAT issue.

Restarting the computer restarts the operating system and the drivers. Trimble has no control over the operating system or the drivers. That is not difficult to understand.

Whose control? If restarting the computer helps, that would, for me, definitely indicate a buggy driver or operating system component.
Windows computers, generally, seem to work better if cold booted periodically. In my experience, OpenGL graphics drivers, whatever the graphics card make and model, seem to dislike system sleep or hibernation - sometimes even locking the screen seems to affect stability and performance.

No, that’s not difficult to understand. What is difficult to understand is WHY restarting the graphics driver would solve the slow selection tool problem?

Because it’s a graphics driver problem.

…and if the graphics driver is “buggy”, then why does it work fine for everything else? It’s only “buggy” for SU Make 2017? That’s odd too.

it is a reason not an excuse, there is a difference…

so, you know the reason and your also aware of at least three solutions to your issue…

upgrade SU to the paid for Pro version…
upgrade your computer…
restart your computer when things slow to a crawl…

as you wish to avoid the first two options…

restarting any computer instigates a host of ‘cleanup’ routines on your system files…

these do not touch any application files…

a simple restart can miss some of these routines, but a ‘full power recycle’ that include a delay is more likely to work first time…

the reason for this are capacitors that are used for certain memory activity need to drain down before that item can be ‘restored’ to it factory defaults…

so, you need unplug your computer for the maximum benefits…

john

What else are you running that relies on OpnGL like SketchUp does?

Well John, it’s actually the opposite. The simple restart only resolves the issue. A full power recycle does nothing.