Selection Tool broken by Windows 10 Creator (1703) Creators update and Work Around

Well here we go still… the mystery of the broken selection tool from Windows 10 updating.

I had this problem with the Anniversary (1607) version of windows and was able to correct the problem by selectively removing certain updates. The strange thing here is that eventually the updates came again and the problem did not come with the repeated installation of the updates.

Now Upgrading to the creators edition (1703) brought back the whole problem again and as with the prior version uninstalling all the updates fixed the problem. This time I am setting all the internet connections to metered which is supposed to stop the updates…

it looks like the main culprit is the the Intel HD4000 graphics. Others have rolled back their graphics drivers and had success…

This is truly a baffling problem, something I have grown accustomed to from windows. It is such a big piece of && legacy coblecode…

Microsoft needs to bite the bullet, go opensource and adopt a version of Linux and start working with the rest of the universe to build a good operating system for everyone instead of the half hearted proprietary goose…

good luck

why not post in the already existing and therefore appropriate thread?:

There are several long threads that are kind of overwhelming to sift through. The problem is still living in the latest “creators” version of windows, so it looks like the problem is not going away for the foreseeable future… I thought it would be good to give this summary so people don’t have to noodle through all the hundreds of posts to put this info together…

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.