Selecting points as opposed to lines

Is there any way to select a point as opposed to selecting a line? I’ve been through lots of video tutorials and have not seen anything yet.

You can act upon individual points, although you can’t actually select them.

For example, with nothing selected, activate the Move tool. Now hover the Move tool mouse pointer over an endpoint, and you’ll see that you get inferencing feedback in the form of a green dot and an Endpoint tooltip. Click such an illuminated endpoint and it will stick to the mouse pointer, whereupon you can move the endpoint and release it with another mouse click, or move it without clicking and enter a precise value in the Measurement toolbar.

Obviously, if you want to select two points, select the edge between them. If there’s no edge between them, draw one.

Hovering the tool over a midpoint does not “select” the midpoint; it’s an on-the-fly way to select the entire edge for moving.

-Gully

To “expand upon” Gully’s answer:

• before grabbing the endpoint you can hover over the edge itself > then press and hold down [Shift] > and only then grab the desired endpoint. This will constain moving the endpoint along its own edge. > move the endpoint > click and type the desired value and hit [Enter].
  • before grabbing the endpoint you can hover over a face that the endpoint is in > then press and hold down [Shift]** > and only then grab the desired endpoint. This will constain moving the endpoint in the same plane of that face. > move the endpoint > click and type the desired value and hit [Enter]. (It’s important that the endpoint’s first location is already in the plane of the face or on the face itself! to be able to constrain its movement to that face)

If you would like to pre-select some group of endpoints (some, lets keep it simple), to move thenm in the same direction by the same distance, connect these endpoints with as many edges to a mutual endpoint. Then you can select pre-select these mutual edges and move them in the desired direction over the desired distance.

See…
Tweaking Tool Tips > Move Tool — SketchUp Sage Site

Thank you for those prompt and detailed responses. That solved my problems. This is a great community! I used 3DS Max ages ago, and I’ve only been working with Sketchup for 3 days now and it’s far more intuitive and enjoyable to use.

You can have a look at Thomthom vertex tools if you need vertex editing on steroids :wink: