Seeking tutor or better tutorial than youtube videos

This is as far as I’ve gotten on my model. Keep in mind it’s my very first one. I’m aware that the walls aren’t all proper thicknesses and window sills seem to be a bit deep, but I’m not going to worry about that stuff this go-round. Right now I would like to know if anyone can tell me what is wrong with my kitchen/dinning room floor. I can see the floor plan showing through the white floor and non of the other have this going on. I know I haven’t drawn the floor in on the garage yet~so no need to comment on that)

Bluff_Dr_SavedAs_2013.zip (723.9 KB)

Robin – Faux,

I was looking at the SketchUp Library that I’ve been putting together and thought that if I like a book, maybe others would also. So, with that, may I present:

•     “The SketchUp Workflow for Architecture”   by Michael Brightman.  [ISBN 978-1-118-29014-9]  $59.99.  Available from Wiley (publisher -  www.wiley.com <http://www.wiley.com>   ).  This book covers basics and then goes into how to set up SU and Layout in a professional manner to make working with it easier.  He goes into the details on setting up work scenes to speed your modeling. Also included are some projects, so you can practice what you’re learning.  This book is super helpful and will save you a lot of time in getting SU working.  Must have book.

•     “SketchUp for Site Design”  by Daniel Tal.  [ISBN 978-0-470-34525-2]  $54.99.  Available from Wiley.  Daniel has a couple of books that are very helpful.  This one presents basics, but beyond that he has some outside site projects included.  This book is high up on my must have list.

•     “Rendering in SketchUp”  by Daniel Tal.  [ISBN 978-0-470-64219-1]  $49.95.  Available from Wiley.  This book is kind of ‘for later’, but it has an important section that deals with setting up your Texture and Component Libraries.  He describes the process of locating and downloading items for your libraries, showing step by step how to do it.  He also points you to the sources of the items.  Daniel has a YouTube video called “ Rendering in SketchUp with Daniel Tal” which goes over the book.  Rendering is a great skill to have and Daniel is a guru at it.   Must have book.

•     “SketchUp for Interior Design”  by Lydia Sloan Cline.  [ISBN 978-1-118-62769-3]  $54.95.  Available from Wiley.  This book is more about ‘inside’ stuff.  A good addition to my library, after I get the other books.

•     Matt Donley is a master teacher.  He runs a site called www.MasterSketchUp.com <http://www.MasterSketchUp.com>  , which is filled with videos of different SU skills.  He is also an author with two books that I got.

o “SketchUp to Layout” is an e-book, that you can keep in a folder on your C-drive. This book has a project of building a house that is pretty neat. Matt is super in showing how LayOut works. I wouldn’t leave his books out of my library. Must Have book.

o “SketchUp & Layout for Architecture” is done with Nick Sonder. [ISBN 978-0 9965393-2-6] Available through MasterSketchUp. Fantastic book showing how to do complex modeling. Nick is an architect in the Lake Tahoe area and has some fantastic videos on the internet that show his process. Very smart way that they use SU. Highly recommended. The thing is, this also comes in e-book, and has a world of templates already set up, for you to customize for your use. This will save you hundreds of hours of setting up.

•     Michael Brightman runs Brightman Designs at  www.brightmandesigns.com <http://www.brightmandesigns.com>   .    Michael is also an excellent instructor.  He has instructional material, like Matt.  He has a course called “SketchUp for Professionals”  .  This is an e-course, which you download.  There are chapters that have lots of exercises that will help you become proficient with different tools in SU.  Be sure to download the chapters he has, so you have them on board your computer.  The Extended Chapters are for your use for a month, then some of the access is limited, but you keep the really important stuff.

•     I’ve combined templates that have been provided by Daniel and Michael, doing a bit of my own input also, following their examples, and using templates they provide,  I’ve combined the two into ‘super templates’.  Using what they offer will make SU really pop for you.  

•     None of the books cover everything, but put together, they will do a pretty good job of it.  It helps to have two monitors, so you can have a model open on one, and the book open on the other.  Faster, better way to learn.

•     You’ve got to look at 3D Connexion.  www.3dconnexion.com <http://www.3dconnexion.com>  .  They have hardware that you must have for working in SU and other 3D environments.  Make sure to check them out.  I have the Space Mouse Wireless, Space Pilot Pro, CAD Mouse & Pad.  Without these tools, SU is not so easy to use.  These 3D mice make the whole experience work.  I can’t imagine not having them.  You gotta see their demos.

•     SketchUcation at www.SketchUcation.com <http://www.SketchUcation.com>   is really important to be involved in.  Forums with questions and answers.

•     If you want, I can provide sites to go to for texture and component downloads.  There is lots of free stuff out there on offer.

I hope this is helpful.

Chip

Chip, would it be possible for you to reformat your last post so you don’t have to scroll to see each entry?

If you used an asterisk or dash to separate entries into a list, maybe you could change that and use Blockquote instead? Just put a > (greater than) sign in front of each paragraph instead of asterisk or dash.

Chip you are leaps and bounds ahead of me! I’m going to work on “trying” to install doors today. Did you see my latest post/update on my model?

I posted in another thread as I’m not certain how this forum works. i.e. Do I post new questions/problems in the same thread or start a new one? So I opted to start a new one. THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to list all those references! I really appreciate it.

YES! I would. I only have SketchUp Make, so I believe I have limited access to the 3D Warehouse. Unless I am mistaken?!

I just received my Sketchup for Dummies book and need to learn more about the interior design aspect of this software. I also need to learn how to add a second floor and roof! So I’ve got a looooong way to go yet. :tired_face:

Hey John, will this help?

• “The SketchUp Workflow for Architecture” by Michael Brightman.
    [ISBN 978-1-118-29014-9] $59.99. Available from Wiley (publisher - www.wiley.com
    http://www.wiley.com ).

This book covers basics and then goes into how to set up SU and Layout in a professional manner to make working with it easier. He goes into the details on setting up work scenes to speed your modeling. Also included are some projects, so you can practice what you’re learning. This book is super helpful and will save you a lot of time in getting SU working. Must have book.

• “SketchUp for Site Design” by Daniel Tal. [ISBN 978-0-470-34525-2] $54.99.
    Available from Wiley.

Daniel has a couple of books that are very helpful. This one presents basics, but beyond that he has some outside site projects included. This book is high up on my must have list.

• “Rendering in SketchUp” by Daniel Tal. [ISBN 978-0-470-64219-1] $49.95. Available from Wiley.

This book is kind of ‘for later’, but it has an important section that deals with setting up your Texture and Component Libraries. He describes the process of locating and downloading items for your libraries, showing step by step how to do it. He also points you to the sources of the items. Daniel has a YouTube video called “ Rendering in SketchUp with Daniel Tal” which goes over the book. Rendering is a great skill to have and Daniel is a guru at it. Must have book.

• “SketchUp for Interior Design” by Lydia Sloan Cline. [ISBN 978-1-118-62769-3]
    $54.95. Available from Wiley.

This book is more about ‘inside’ stuff. A good addition to my library, after I got the other books.

• Matt Donley is a master teacher. He runs a site called www.MasterSketchUp.com http://www.MasterSketchUp.com , which is filled with videos of different SU skills. He is also an author with two books that I got.

• “SketchUp to Layout” is an e-book, that you can keep in a folder on your C-drive.
    This book has a project of building a house that is pretty neat. Matt is super in showing how LayOut works. I wouldn’t leave his books out of my library. Must Have book.

• “SketchUp & Layout for Architecture” is done with Nick Sonder. [ISBN 978-0 9965393-2-6] Available through MasterSketchUp.
    Fantastic book showing how to do complex modeling. Nick is an architect in the Lake Tahoe area and has some fantastic videos on the internet that show his process. Very smart way that they use SU. Highly recommended. The thing is, this also comes in e-book, and has a world of templates already set up, for you to customize for your use. This will save you hundreds of hours of setting up.

• Michael Brightman runs Brightman Designs at www.brightmandesigns.com http://www.brightmandesigns.com. Michael is also an excellent instructor. He has instructional material, like Matt.

He has a course called “SketchUp for Professionals”. This is an e-course, which you download. There are chapters that have lots of exercises that will help you become proficient with different tools in SU. Be sure to download the chapters he has, so you have them on board your computer. The Extended Chapters are for your use for a month, then some of the access is limited, but you keep the really important stuff.

• I’ve combined templates that have been provided by Daniel and Michael, doing a bit of my own input also, following their examples, and using templates they provide, I’ve combined the two into ‘super templates’. Using what they offer will make SU really pop for you.

None of the books cover everything, but put together, they will do a pretty good job of it. It helps to have two monitors, so you can have a model open on one, and the book open on the other. Faster, better way to learn.

You’ve got to look at 3D Connexion. www.3dconnexion.com http://www.3dconnexion.com . They have hardware that you must have for working in SU and other 3D environments. Make sure to check them out. I have the Space Mouse Wireless, Space Pilot Pro, CAD Mouse & Pad. Without these tools, SU is not so easy to use. These 3D mice make the whole experience work. I can’t imagine not having them. You gotta see their demos.

SketchUcation at www.SketchUcation.com http://www.SketchUcation.com
is really important to be involved in. Forums with questions and answers.

If you want, I can provide sites to go to for texture and component downloads. There is lots of free stuff out there on offer.

And I’d like to add, THANK YOU again for all this great information Chip!!!

PS. This is my latest model. I’m pretty proud of myself. But I couldn’t have done it without the help of George Knowles. He put my PDF file into a CAD file and separated the layers for me. There’s NO WAY I could have done that. For one, I don’t have CAD software! Thanks George.

Bluff_Dr_1stFloor.zip (1.3 MB)

That’s HUGELY easier to read - thank you, Chip or FauxDesigner, whoever did it.

You’re welcome. It only took a few minutes to copy/paste it out onto a Pages doc. (At least I’m good at something. LOL) :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.