Second monitor makes Layout run slower

I’m using a Dell laptop and an Asus monitor as an additional screen. When using the Asus, Layout runs noticeably slower. I’ve been unplugging the Asus when using Layout to avoid this issue. Sketchup runs fine either way. Is there a simple setting somewhere to fix this that I don’t know about?

If you’re going to try to explain anything to me, please explain it to me like I’m 5. Thanks.

Hello Nate,
I also use a Dell latop Latitude 5400
Intel(R) Core™ i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.90 GHz
8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable)

When I use UCB-C Docker by Del WD19
My screens will go black and usually crash Sketchup.
Occasionally i get the bugsplat and a recovery file gets created. Sometimes no recovery and have to reboot laptop to start over.

After firmware update n the docker and latest drivers and windows updates… no improvement.
I was encouraged to use the HDMI out from my laptop bypassing the Docker, but this has same black screen and crash results.

I have given up using external monitors. So far its usable. My company has approved a laptop upgrade wit 6GB dedicated video ram. Sorry I couldn’t be more encouraging, but just know you are not alone.

1 Like

ok, which connections do you have on the Dell.
I have 2 DisplayPort and connected 2 monitors.
no differences it all goes very quickly.
If you use adapter HDMI - VGA maybe it could be the reason.

The DisplayPort is the successor to VGA and DVI. DisplayPort cables have a higher bandwidth than HDMI cables. With a higher bandwidth, the cable transmits more signals at the same time. This is particularly advantageous when you connect multiple monitors.

1 Like

I’m using a Mini Displayport-HDMI cable. The Mini Displayport is plugged into the laptop, the HDMI is plugged into the monitor.

maybe you can update the graphics driver
sorry, otherwise I don’t know what to do.

Thanks for trying! I’ll look into that.