Screen Image disappeared

cool… I didn’t see any layers in his file so I didn’t even think to look in the outliner. I have only recently started using the outliner. You guys are awesome.

Outliner only shows components and groups that are in the model space Layers don’t really come into it.

When this bug occurs, you’re in a better position if you’ve made everything a component or group so you can grab them in the outliner. It’s just a better way to work in general, not just preparing for this bug happening.

Most of this model was loose geometry and is lost by just copying everything from the outliner and pasting in a new file.

1 Like

of course but it just isn’t a “go to” function for me yet. I’m getting there. I am currently rethinking my long established work flow around it.

1 Like

OK, so now I’m officially confused !! Obviously I have no clue as to what I’m to do next. I re-opened the SU file and still note the blank screen except for the word “Top” appearing in the upper left corner of the screen.

SU 2017 comes in two “flavors” – Make (free) & Pro (paid). The Pro version reverts to Make at the end of the 30-day trial period.
SU 2018 only comes in Pro. It ceases to function at the end of the 30-day trial period.

Your profile lists both Make and SU 2018, which technically does not exist.

go back up the thread to that post and click on the file McGordon posted

Laundry Cabinet GM.skp (1.2 MB)

see if you can open this one.

I clicked on that file that McGordon posted. I don’t see anything yet, or rather still.

You clicked on it, but did you open the file that downloaded in SketchUp?

clicking on the file should open a new SU instance with the model visible.
This is what I see.

I re-opened my SU file and clicked on the Laundry Basket, There are actually two files of the same name. Somewhere in my meanderings through this file, I managed to end up with two files. The one that I am working on is still hidden and the lpop up says that it is locked up by another user and asks if I want a read-only version. I said NO.

THAT IS THE ONE i’M WORKING ON !!

hmmm I’d say close all SU program instances and come back here and click on the one in the posted links. It should open in SU on your end. If its the one you wish to keep…save it. If you don’t know yet… Save it with “Save As” and give it a new name till you sort it all out.

Now the old file shows and the one I’m working on is not listed in the files of projects that I’ve worked on in the past.

If you give better information, you’ll get better help. If you fill in your profile it will help us to help you. We’d know which operating system you use, which version of SketchUp, etc. Your information is conflicting as there’s no such program as SketchUp Make 2018.

Click on one of the “Laundry Cabinet GM.skp” files above. I don’t need to upload it again. I put GM at the end to stop you getting different versions mixed up.

Some of your problems are basic file management which is not specific to SketchUp. If you tell us your operating system you might get advice about that too.

I’m sorry about being such a PITA. I don’t really know what an operating system is.

Are you using windows?

The operating system is the software that runs all the time on your computer and lets you run programs you want to use, like SketchUp.

SketchUp runs on two main kinds of operating system: Microsoft Windows and Apple’s macOS. If you’re on a new-ish Apple computer, you’ll be using macOS or if its older, OS X or Mac OS X.

No need to be sorry. Just don’t do it on purpose :slight_smile: