Scenes for Layout

While setting up scenes for layout I have run into a small issue. I’ve loaded pics of an example. If I set Wall A as a scene, all is good. Then when I want to set Wall B as a scene in a horizontal position I just rotate the model 90 degrees and set Wall B as a scene and all is good. But then when I select the Wall A scene tab the model does not go back to is original position and Wall B is still shown.
The reason for me needing both walls in a horizontal position is because they are so long they don’t fit into the layout file when they are in the vertical position. They will fit if I zoom way out, but then details will be missed. So I have to zoom in and put them on a horizontal position.
There must be a way to change the top down view in SU without having to rotate the model. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know thanks.

Why are you doing that? The scenes in SketchUp are just camera positions. If you move or rotate the model, that change will show in all the scenes.

What you need to do is rotate the camera, not the model. Or, since you are talking about LayOut, you can just rotate the viewport as needed.

To do what you seem to be trying to do in your screen shots, you can do it with a single scene in SketchUp. Make two copies of the viewport in LayOut and rotate one of them 90°.

Screenshot%20-%209_21_2019%20%2C%209_20_19%20AM

Your problem is that the model contents are the same across all scenes. If you rotate the model contents so that wall B is at the top (farthest from origin along the green axis), that is its orientation in all scenes. Instead, you need to orbit the camera to view the model from a different direction for each distinct scene. Don’t forget to update the scene and make sure that retaining camera is set in the scene’s properties.

That’s a fair question. One way perhaps is @eneroth3’s Relative Top View?

It is also possible to rotate the model for the purpose of a view, but leave the original undisturbed:

1. Make the entire model (a least the finished part you care to show) a component
  2. Make a copy of the component, and rotated it the way you want
  3. Put that rotated copy on a layer all it’s own
  4. Create a scene that shows only that layer (you have to be able to turn off the original as well)

I do this to cast 45° shadows. You have to rotate the model to achieve this. I’m already in the habit of making a component of the whole building to begin with so as to save out the building component and import it into a separate site model file.

Shadows aside. TiG’s ruby “Rotate Plan View” does this (without manipulating geometry).

But if the point is getting plans into LO. By all means just rotate the plan in LayOut. Flexible and easy.