Scenes Disappear when I modify my model

I was able to hide a group in the Site Plan scene, and the remainder of the scene was still visible. But, when I did an Undo, the scene went blank.

I tried the work around I mentioned, and it does seem to fix the problem. I will send a message to you with instructions to try.

Hmmm…
Open your Sketchup model,
Go to the Outliner
Unlock the Component named: Location Snapshot#1
right click and erase that component

Earlier I did notice that very large objects can provoke the issue. Your script, which I sent to speotter, works around even those cases.

Took care of my problem, Thanks so much.

We experience this disappearing scene issue occasionally as well and it is quite bothersome. @colin what was your work around?

In the end I wrote a topic about the issue, and the work around. You can read quickly through the early part, and get to where I describe the work around:

Hi Colin,

I did end up finding that post and will give it a try on the next file it happens too. My colleague had already gone through and fixed everything by the time i came across it lol. Our problem doesn’t appear to be unique to section planes though. It also happens to site plans, elevation views etc where no section planes are active.

Phil, you should probably remove all your contact info from the post…Bots are looking for this sort of thing.

I deleted your contact info.

If you can make a small example file where things look blank and there is no section plane, can I look at the file?

1 Like

Thanks Colin, I just replied to the email and my auto signature went along with it.

Ok this particular file was having issues with the elevation scenes but is now just having issue with “Scene 17”. I can the ruby script in the file and it totally destroyed all of the scenes.

The attached file is pre ruby script. https://drive.google.com/file/d/105ME3GCypTRHV9efQV_rHgffrT5Zh_Vj/view?usp=sharing

For reference scene 17 should be showing the section cut but its camera has shifted to show a different elevation, fixing the camera angle works but then it goes back after saving.

An important part of the instructions is to turn off the Model Info/Animation/Enable scene transitions option first. Then the script shouldn’t destroy the scenes.

I’m not sure what scene 17 is supposed to look like. It seems to be showing something, and isn’t blank.

So this particular model had blank scenes including scene 17, they were all fixed but scene 17 will not behave properly now. No matter which scene you go from, scene 17 simply turns on the section cut but leaves it set to the view of which ever scene was before it. Try switching from say the main floor scene to scene 17 and then from an elevation then back to scene 17 and you should see what im talking about.

good call on the transitions, I will try turning those off first before running the script.

Look at:
The Scenes Panel
Scene 17
Properties to save
Camera Location checkbox

We don’t generally use that method for updating scenes, rather using the update option in the top left corner of the scenes menu that prompts you with which properties to save.

According to @sWilliams 's screenshot, Scene 17 is not set to save the camera view. The popup window you see when updating scenes will not override the scene settings that tell which properties are set to save with the scene. For other scenes than some “working” ones, you would normally check all the boxes.

All of these checkboxes are usually checked so that an ‘Update’ will save these settings.

Did some playing around with it. That certainly interesting how that works…

I cant think of a scenario where I wouldn’t want these items to save in any particular scene. In any case that appears to have resolved the issues with this particular scene. Thanks @sWilliams

@colin I will run the script on the next file that gives us issues and see if that helps, if not I will send you the file before all of the scenes get repaired manually

There are many time saving things you can do in the scene manager with those properties.

Say you have 3 levels of a home and want all three scenes aligned perfectly. Select the floor scene you have the position finalized. In the scene manager select the other scenes you want to match using shift or Ctrl. Then deselect camera position, then immediately reselect. Do not hit update. Now all three scenes are perfectly aligned. You can do the same for all of the parameters.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.