Scenes and problem

Hi everyone,

When switching between 4 scenes I have, “Profiles” get thicker and “Extensions” and “Endpoints” appear, despite I don’t want them. I remove them, and I switch between scenes and one by one, they start coming back.

Any suggestions?

Profile weight, end points and extensions are style settings. It sounds like you’ve got different styles set for different scenes. If you don’t want the style with heavy profiles and end points, you either need to turn them off and then update the style by clicking on the thumbnail in the upper left corner of the Styles window or select the same style for all the scenes and update those scenes.

If you make a change to the style and either update a scene or try to create a new scene, do you get the Style warning message box popping up?

Hi Dave, thanks for your attention,

I never use endpoints and extensions, before starting any work, I go to that pane and turn them off, standard procedure. And the problem started when I created scenes. Anyways, I tried to turn them off several times, I also choose all the work and turn them off. While navigating with the orbit, working on the parts, changing sizes, adding components etc., everything is fine. When I go to any scene, first, profile weight becomes thicker. When I go to another scene, endpoints and extensions come. Answer to your question: No, no warning ever comes up. No beeps either. It just does what I want, and same thing happens when I go to a scene. Yesterday I copied all the work and pasted it on a new document, and of course created the scenes again. So far the problem disappeared. On the previous document, it continues. By the way, it is not my Mac, as I register here, it is a Sony which I never connect to internet (writing patent files). All legal software via original disks, nothing crack. Except I downloaded Avast and Sketchup 2016 windows editions with my Mac, checked them with Avast on my Mac, and transferred them to the Sony with a new, unused flash. Can it be a virus problem?

Standard procedure? You do this every time you start a new project? Why? Why wouldn’t you just create a template with the profiles, endpoints and extensions set as you want?

This indicates you aren’t actually updating the style. And if you didn’t update the style before creating the scene, then the scene will still display the settings that were active at the time the scene was created.

You must have seen the warning window come up at least once and then disabled it. You should have that warning box popping up when you create scenes after making edits to the style. Go to Preferences and enable that warning.

Unlikely. It sounds to me as if there’s a fundamental lack of understanding about using styles and scenes.

Hi Dave,

Yes, standard procedure because I like thin lines to work with. And no endpoints, my eyes are like an eagle’s. I like a plain sheet and thin, dark grey lines, I like everything minimalist. See, I have a big house, but in that house, I have a bed, a huge table, two chairs; one for me one for my cat, and lots of drawers, behind cabinets, so everything is in order and hidden there. I am a minimalist. ))) See, I must concentrate more than the average American, because this is not my native language. When everything is so plain around me, I can focus on what I need to much better.

OK, I will update the style before creating the scene, and I will activate the warnings, thanks a lot! ))

I am a beginner with 3Ds))

And the worst thing for me in Sketchup is the lack of dotted lines! This is why I tried to move to 123D…

I also adore the interface of 123D, (simple version) but had a problem with grid; I tried to increase the grid size but did not work. Do you know anything about it?

:slight_smile:

So as Dave said, set those preferences and save as template.
An eagle eye can sometimes struggle with it’s processor.

1 Like

For what purpose would you want dotted lines? I ask not with the suggestion you are wrong, but rather to understand what you are trying to do because someone here may be able to suggest a technique or workaround that will suit. Additional line styes are a frequent feature request, so discussion about why helps to clarify the use case. If the use case becomes strong and popular enough, Trimble might do something about it.

Hi slbaumgartner,

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Actually, I used the term dotted lines, but maybe broken lines describes what I need better; I need them for patent drawings; below is from USPTO’s site:

“A broken line disclosure is understood to be for illustrative purposes only and forms no part of the claimed design. Structure that is not part of the claimed design, but is considered necessary to show the environment in which the design is used, may be represented in the drawing by broken lines. This includes any portion of an article in which the design is embodied or applied to that is not considered part of the claimed design. When the claim is directed to just surface ornamentation for an article, the article in which it is embodied must be shown in broken lines.”

@CanA, you can create broken, dashed, and dotted lines in LayOut.

Is is possible to show certain components only like that, while others are shown with full lines? How? ))

Not directly. There is a way to do it but it’s a bit convoluted for a beginner. I’ll make an example image later and post it to show.